Death Runs

Snake

Shot a small buck once in a dead run in midair and his next step he centered a tree busted his skull . Upon going to him I didn't see any antler and was feeling kinda sick thinking I may have mistook him for a doe but upon examining the deer one side had came out of his skull and was laying beyond the tree . The side he was laying on the antler was still intact but I couldn't see it for the leaves . Tried to drag him with the one antler but was afraid it was going to pull out also because his skull was mush .The tree itself wasn't the sole event that busted his skull upon further examination I had shot the buck in the head :roll: great shooting or luck ........... yep luck !!

Jcalder

It's not deer hunting but on a turkey hunt a few years ago I had a bird below wearing it out but wouldn't come. I decided finally to ease down the hill. Went 40 yards or so and would call. He's gobble closer. Then farther away. So I kept easing. Finally I called and he gobbled. Could tell he was committed and I was stuck standing there. So I stood as still as possible and he popped up to my right. I eased the safety off and decided to swing and shoot hoping he'd pop his head up before taking off. When I swung he ran back over the hill. I shot and tried to fly but couldn't. Knowing I'd wounded this bird I went after him. Couldn't find anything. Hill was fairly steep and the last 30 yards was nearly a bluff to a creek. I was on a trail and kept going back and forth. Finally decided I blew it and was gonna head somewhere else. Turned to head out and I see something coming. In amazement it's turkey badly hurt walking right to me. Took him at about 10 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN Larry

I shot a doe years ago about 50 yards that hit a fence running wide open. It stopped her instantly, and she never moved a another muscle. I blew her heart out and is probably still the most impressive blood trail that I have ever seen. I have no idea how she lost that much blood running so fast.

Mid-Tenn

Hunting with my muzzleloader, first year for the Savage Smokeless.

I was in a brushy draw between two fields and shot a large 8 point. At the shot the deer kind of hunched up and ran towards the stand and stopped and just stood there confused. He looked like he was hurt but just kind of bowed up. Not sure about the shot or having a lot of confidence at the time in smokeless or the bullet combination I reloaded and put another round in him. The deer showed absolutely no indication of being hit and started speed walking towards me. As it passed about 5 yards from the stand I could see a pencil sized stream of blood pouring out the opposite side and a small tuft of hair in the middle of the ribs moving in and out with each breath. I thought, "Weird. That deer has a sucking chest wound." It kept walking and turned to go up the draw towards the field where I had parked my ATV. As it got closer to the field it started to slow to a steady walk, taking an occasional pause and dropping it's head. I yelled out, "KEEP GOING." Like it needed some kind of motivation. The deer then lifted it's head and walked maybe another fifteen yards before falling over dead almost directly next to the ATV.

fairchaser

Years ago I had a six pointer and two does walking along this small creek and when I shot the six point he fell stone dead into the creek and was completely covered with water which barely rippled. The two does looked around for their companion and couldn't find him. They stood there for 10 minutes. I started talking to them and waved my arms. Finally I had to climb completely down the tree and had to chase them off. If I hadn't been 30 yards and seen him fall in the creek, I doubt I would have ever found him.

foodplot

Shot an 8pt two years back in hardwoods..... when i shot him he ran about 30yds wide open into a 6" diameter oak.... broke one antler off.... he did a complete flip and fell into a steep hollow.... took me an hour to drag his arse out of that hole....!

tahtah

My most memorable "death run" was a buck I shot during rifle season, one year. I was hunting a field that wasn't over grown but grown up a bit. The field was almost a bowl and I was in a stand on the higher side. This buck came out of the woods straight across from me, about 125 yds. It was just before dark and there were already several other deer in the field. When I shot him, he ran about 30 yards into the field, straight toward me and then started what I would call a death spiral, his straight ahead run turned into a fairly wide circle that got smaller and smaller until he literally spun one last time and fell over.

MUP

I shot this buck in 2015 and he ran about 40 yds, angling toward me. I couldn't see him so well in some brush, but he was thrashing about for a min or so, then I saw him fall. When I got to him, he had apparently ran into, or fought with this tree. Heart shot as well.

Winchester

I was helping kill 50 does off a farm in Western KY few yrs ago. I was in a stand with a 50 acre thicket behind me and a finger of woods down one side of the Bean field. Over the course of about an hour I shot 3 different big mama does with my bow, each running off in different directions but all going back in security cover. I got down just before dark and started tracking, long story short all 3 does were literally laying within 10 yards of each other. I gutted them all and went for 4 wheeler and a buddy to to help. When we pulled up he said you should have waited I would have helped you drag them all together!! LOL I had a hard time convincing him of what happened!
Ive had some crazy ones as well, actually had a Doe try to get a buck up one day after I killed him tending her, she just kept nudging him trying to get him back up!!

Mike Belt

Winchester... It happens. I sat up on a point between 2 ridges that fed down through a narrow bottom. I shot a doe and she took off down the bottom. Thirty minutes later I shot another one and she took off the same direction. About an hour after that I had a good buck come through and I shot him...same direction. When I climbed down and started following blood I found them. The buck had fallen on top of one of the does and the other doe wasn't over 5 feet away from those two. All I had to do was maneuver my ATV down the side of the ridge and load them up. I wish all multiple kills were like that.

catman529

Smoke":1fje04wd said:
Hunting with muzzleloader one year and saw some deer at the top of the ridge above me. Cranked scope up to 9 power to get a good look at them when they spooked and scattered. One doe runs off the ridge almost to the base of my ladder. It all happened so fast I forgot the scope was cranked up til I tried to get on her. I somehow found her leg and followed it up until I saw body and fired. Round hit her in the shoulder and almost removed it without entering chest cavity. She took off on a dead run back up the ridge with her head down. There was a big tree that had fell and she hit it head on full bore and rolled back dead. I don't know which one of us delivered the fatal blow.
I killed a small doe last year with my muzzleloader where the bullet never entered the ribcage. It was a head on shot that blew through the shoulder and grazed along the outside of the ribcage. Never went in, but the shock had the lung all bruised and full of blood when I field dressed the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts