Froze to death, 10 point

Hduke86

Well I went to Prentice Cooper Monday night and hunted that evening with no luck but knew with the cold temps that the deer would have to move to stay warm and with bucks still chasing. I about FROZE monday night camping. I went back to my spot from the previous evening and saw zero deer so about 1pm I get down and come up with another plan. I took about an hour looking at some topo maps and decided to go to a place I had scouted earlier in the year. I get to my new spot and head in with the hopes of seeing some deer. I get settled in and about 4:00 pm I can't take the wind anymore, I'm freezing so I hop down and decide to just tuck up at the base of tree. Shortly after doing so I had a couple does come in at about 40 yards to my right and as I'm watching them I hear chaos on my left so I turn around and have 3 does running wild in the underbrush and catch a glimpse of a tall tine. A nice buck was bulldozing the underbrush trying to pen down a doe. He's not stopping as I literally yelling at him so I find him in the scope and pull the trigger BANG!!! The buck stops at 80ish yards but doesn't appear to be hit and off he goes chasing again so I get him back in the scope as he's chasing and BANG!!!! This time he's down and I "thought" he was finished but nope it was a high hit just behind shoulder and since I'm sitting on the ground it hit zero vitals and he gets up. I chamber another round and as he gets ready to disappear off the side of the mountain I send my last shot and he drops hallelujah. Longer story a little bit shorter I hit a tree on the first shot but the 3rd shot was good in the chest cavity. They aged him at 5.5yr and it about killed me dragging it out.
A54DE43A-444A-48D5-852F-E44E0A467EDF.png

DaveB

Great buck and even better story.

I can't stand cold so I am generally looking like the michelin man. Started using a backpack a few years ago for a place to stuff what I don;t need.

The shoe inserts and these muffs along with a good hat are great in helping you hold off the cold.

Latest posts