Days until football season

Spurhunter

front.jpg

Spurhunter

I have that card set. Had forgotten about it till just now.
When he played at Tennessee you'd see bumper stickers everywhere in this area that said "Run Johnnie Run!" Johnnie still lives in Munford and serves his community as a volunteer police officer. He is a good dude. A friend of mine went to high school with him. Johnnie was running track but not even playing football. My friend talked him into joining the football team, and the rest, as they say, is history.

PalsPal

My all time favorite Vol. The great Johnnie Jones. Pride of Munford, Tennessee and a damn good man.
View attachment 188499
View attachment 188500
View attachment 188501

Awesome stuff. Was brushing up on my memories of him and found this:

1983 seasonEdit

Jones entered the 1983 season again competing with Coleman for playing time, though Morris had moved to fullback. Jones injured his ankle in the opener against Pittsburgh, and played only sparingly against New Mexico and Auburn. While cutting wood with his father on the Sunday following the Auburn game, Jones suggested he was going to quit the team, but his father convinced him to keep playing. Six days later, with his family watching from the stands, he erupted for 148 yards on 20 attempts, including a 41-yard touchdown, in Tennessee's blowout win over The Citadel.[9][10]

Perhaps the most memorable play of Jones' career came in Tennessee's game against rival Alabama, which took place at Legion Field on October 15. After rallying from a 10-point deficit to tie the game at 34, Tennessee had regained possession with just over three minutes to play. On a 3rd-down play, Jones took a pitch from Alan Cockrell, dodged several defenders, and raced 66 yards to the end zone to score what would prove to be the winning touchdown. He finished the game with 112 rushing yards.[11]

Spurhunter

Perhaps the most memorable play of Jones' career came in Tennessee's game against rival Alabama, which took place at Legion Field on October 15. After rallying from a 10-point deficit to tie the game at 34, Tennessee had regained possession with just over three minutes to play. On a 3rd-down play, Jones took a pitch from Alan Cockrell, dodged several defenders, and raced 66 yards to the end zone to score what would prove to be the winning touchdown. He finished the game with 112 rushing yards.

Fast forward to the 16:17 mark:

Latest posts