Current Quota Hunt Priority Point Status for those curious

deerfever

Re: Current Quota Hunt Priority Point Status for those curio

I have 10 points built up but I am really starting to second guess my whole point build up for the island. At this point I hate to give up 10 years of points for anything on the quota hunt choices but do not know if I can work up the energy to drive 5.5 hours to bow hunt a place , I guess I am getting old like that!. I love to hunt big deer and nothing else seems appealing to me. Either too many on the hunt or in October when I am too busy with my job and could not go. I have alot to think about before next year! I wish I wasn't 10 points in , no way I would even consider it under my circumstances.

Headhunter

Never put in PI and most likely never will. Way to many much better opportunities to kill a great buck with a bow and not have to pass up a buck that many people pay a lot of money to kill.

rstodd

What if Twra lost the island and those that had points flooded other draw hunts making it take longer to draw all over Tennessee?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

rstodd":3tj23ckc said:
What if Twra lost the island and those that had points flooded other draw hunts making it take longer to draw all over Tennessee?

I've thought about that exact situation. I think most would simply drop out of the draws. The guys that keep putting in for it already have places to hunt and that's why they don't mind waiting a decade or more to hunt. If I'm wrong, I think they'd hose the odds for a year or two, then it'd all go back to normal.

DoubleRidge

Buzzard Breath":3k7eaqse said:
rstodd":3k7eaqse said:

I've thought about that exact situation. I think most would simply drop out of the draws. The guys that keep putting in for it already have places to hunt and that's why they don't mind waiting a decade or more to hunt. If I'm wrong, I think they'd hose the odds for a year or two, then it'd all go back to normal.

Agree.... majority of applicants are just looking for an above average bow hunt opportunity......If PI opportunity ceased to exist....then majority return to hunting private.....or in other words.....some of the applicants wouldn't even enter a draw hunt if PI we're not available.

So if your not interested in putting in for draw hunts...then putting in for PI and waiting years isnt anything more than waiting in line for an opportunity to hunt somewhere different.

As for success rates...the flood and lack of Ag verses years past have certainly had an impact.....but following the PI thread on TnDeer .....of the four or five on here who hunted .....one big mature buck was shot and not recovered.....saw a cell pic of what appeared to be a giant out of range....then couple of other reports of 130" deer being seen.......the "glory days" .....no, but an above average opportunity to atleast be around P&Y and up quality deer.

gobblesandgrunts

Ok so I'm totally new to this draw hunt stuff. I really want to get into it. I am 32 so dont know if it would be worth it though. Would love the experience of hunting the island but would also hunt anywhere I could take a nice buck with a bow. Also how exactly does the process work? I checked my app and the only thing you can put in for is spring turkey hunts. May be rookie questions but gotta start somewhere lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DoubleRidge

gobblesandgrunts":14bxrner said:
Ok so I'm totally new to this draw hunt stuff. I really want to get into it. I am 32 so dont know if it would be worth it though. Would love the experience of hunting the island but would also hunt anywhere I could take a nice buck with a bow. Also how exactly does the process work? I checked my app and the only thing you can put in for is spring turkey hunts. May be rookie questions but gotta start somewhere lol

I put in for quota hunts each year and I currently only see spring turkey hunts too......and I may be wrong but I believe this is because spring 2020 turkey is the only quota hunt currently available.....once the fall 2020 quota hunt dates are set I'm thinking they will be available to view online.....good luck hunting!

gobblesandgrunts

DoubleRidge":347d4ywo said:
gobblesandgrunts":347d4ywo said:

I put in for quota hunts each year and I currently only see spring turkey hunts too......and I may be wrong but I believe this is because spring 2020 turkey is the only quota hunt currently available.....once the fall 2020 quota hunt dates are set I'm thinking they will be available to view online.....good luck hunting!
So we can still put in on every hunt and it will count for deer no matter what draw it is?

DoubleRidge

gobblesandgrunts":1gphco5x said:
DoubleRidge":1gphco5x said:
gobblesandgrunts":1gphco5x said:

So we can still put in on every hunt and it will count for deer no matter what draw it is?

I mis quoted when I said I put in for several quota hunts...when actually I only put in for one each year. President's Island.....so when the new 2020 list of deer quota hunts comes out you will select the hunts you are interested in....and you will list them as 1st choice, 2nd choice, etc. If your not drawn you will receive a preference point. Overtime you can build points. But understand once your drawn your points go to zero...even if it's a 2nd choice hunt.....so for me, only wanting to hunt PI...I don't put a second choice.....no doubt there are others on here that can explain the system better or that have more experience putting in for multiple hunts each year.. Hopefully they will comment and help answer your question better.

muddyboots

BULL MOOSE":v4clfubg said:
Rockhound":v4clfubg said:
PickettSFHunter":v4clfubg said:
I cannot believe a hunt with an insanely low success rate is so hard to draw. It is what it is I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the odds of killing a world class deer, are probably greater than any other hunt in the southeast

PI has been hunted for along time now! How many Boone and Crockett gross scoping deer have been taken? 10 years sitting out other areas so you can drive by a burned out stolen vehicle near the entrance and see other hunters all around you? I just don't understand the fascination with the place.

However, I enjoy the stories.

When I hunted it 11 years ago. If I could hunt it that one week end a year and it be like when I went 11 years ago I would swap the whole season for it. It is so sad that it has dropped off to the shape it's in now. I promise when I hunted there it was unexplainable. Unbelievable is more like it. I stayed on ready in 20 degree weather from daylight til dark in a summit open front stand. I mean a giant could appear at any second and you see deer all day. I hunted the first morning from daylight until 12 am and never saw a deer. My buddy was texting me every few minutes about a buck he just saw. I felt like the worst deer hunter ever. I got down. Moved 100 yards and started seeing bucks constant. I had a 135 8 point standing at 10 yards staring at a doe. I could see the breath coming out if his mouth. I've never hunted anywhere that was even close. It really breaks my heart that people won't get to experience like I did. So sad.

Latest posts