crossbow

LCU

Anyone a bow hunter and not crossbow hunt,because to you it's not as satisfying? Not the same skill etc..?
Not that there is anything wrong with it.

LCU

I agree and thought it was great for impared people that could not draw a bow.
I like to shoot and I d hunt with a bow, rifle,and ML.
All a little different.
I will spend more days this year bow hunting,than anything else.

I just don't feel the same about a CB.

Thought it was just me. Maybe not.

LCU

bobthebowhunter said:
It's just a gun!!

Bob, that is where I was headed with this.
It's not bow hunting.
It's an arrow shooting gun.

Ok.
I vote CB's not be permitted during bow season.
Let CB season open with ML.

Anyone agree?

cecil30-30

I bought a crossbow right after deer season closed last year because I wanted to start bow hunting.Well i practiced and practiced and i never could get the accuracy out of it that I wanted,so I sold it and said I wouldn't bow hunt.A month went by and I said that I have got to bow hunt,so I went to BPS and they set me up with my compound bow I have now (Diamond) and I love it.It is a heck of alot more fun to shoot than the crossbow was.I can keep all arrows in a 6 inch group at 40 yds and i don't shoot groups at 20 or 30 yds because im afraid I will ruin an arrow.That is alot better than my crossbow was getting.I also killed my first deer with a bow this year also.I had a real sense of accomplishment with it and I don't think I would of felt the same way,if I would have killed it with a crossbow.But I am not going to knock on one person for the way they hunt or what they hunt with,as long as its legal!If we really wanted to get into an arguement about hunting with different style bows,then the traditional guys would be calling us compound guys out on it.Traditional archery is real archery,no sights or silencers or the other fancy stuff that makes compound hunting what it is.So if you are going to mock and call out the crossbow guys for useing a xbow you better stop and think about what your useing??????

LCU

You make a good point about Trad bows vs cmpd bows.
They probebly feel the same way about my Drenalin with the QAD rest etc. etc.

Can't imagine anything being worse than a BPS CB set-up by one of their clerks.

LCU

Cecil 3030
You changed my thought process a bit.

I say let's allow the trad bow to open 3 weeks before modern bow season opens. Fair to them, fair to us.

Keep CB hunting with ML.

mike243

some fly flingers have the same mentality,jealousy will eat you up if you let it,xbows have been around almost as long as bows,if they stopped folks from using triggers & lighted pins on compound bows how many would still use them? hunt how you want to & dont worry about anybody as long as they hunt legal,mike243

mike243

Seminole39 said:
LCU said:
bobthebowhunter said:
It's just a gun!!

Bob, that is where I was headed with this.
It's not bow hunting.
It's an arrow shooting gun.

Ok.
I vote CB's not be permitted during bow season.
Let CB season open with ML.

Anyone agree?
That is a great idea. Push CB season back to give actual bow hunters a chance.
i hear of more wounded deer with real bows than xbows,i can use a real bow & you still would have the same chance to kill a deer,what most of you are mad about & dont want to admit is there's more hunters in the woods now & you want more woods to your selfs,we can split all the seasons up.recurve bow,compound bow,xbow,then flintlock with round balls only,then sidelocks with any type of lead only,then inlines with any type of bullets that you want,give each a week,now for the kicker,you only get to pick 1 week of some type of bow or xbow ,then pick which muzzleloader week you want,then you can really be happy & not be envious of your fellow hunters,mike243

mike243

i forgot,we're going to start the season with Bolo's then Boomarangs then spears,then we will start with the real bow shooters :D mike243

mike243

take away all the pulleys,cables,lited sites & mechanical releases & then tell me that & i will agree,most compond shooters use a release with a trigger,they even have scopes for them,until thats done xbows forever :) mike243

Radar

This argument has been hashed and re-hashed out over the past 3 years on tndeer. I prefer to hunt with a compound . I hunt throughout the entire deer season with a bow , so it makes little difference what someone else is carrying .
I could care less if the next guy over the ridge is using a compound or crossbow , it has no bearing on the way I choose to hunt .

LCU

Radar said:
This argument has been hashed and re-hashed out over the past 3 years on tndeer. I prefer to hunt with a compound . I hunt throughout the entire deer season with a bow , so it makes little difference what someone else is carrying .
I could care less if the next guy over the ridge is using a compound or crossbow , it has no bearing on the way I choose to hunt .

I agree that cirssbow hunters have no bearing on the way I choose to hunt.
I also agree on earlier hunting seasons for bow, ML and rifle.
All I am saying is that a CB is not a bow,and should not open with bow season.
It's a gun that shoots arrows.
Bow hunting is for archers.
CB is for non archers.

Radar

I haven't seen the first crossbow hunter in the woods yet and I hunt private and public land .
Would you rather have an archer who is a bad shot with a bow hunt with you , or the same guy who is a good shot with a crossbow , that will make a humane , ethical shot hunt with you ?
I'd rather a bowhunter use the weapon he or she can make a quick , humane kill with , rather than the poke and hope arrow flinger , who pulls the bow out of the closet the day before season to practice with .
I'm not going to argue in support of crossbows , but they have their purpose and I accept those who choose to hunt with them for the reason given above .

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
LCU said:
Radar said:

I agree that cirssbow hunters have no bearing on the way I choose to hunt.
I also agree on earlier hunting seasons for bow, ML and rifle.
All I am saying is that a CB is not a bow,and should not open with bow season.
It's a gun that shoots arrows.
Bow hunting is for archers.
CB is for non archers.

Tell that to the guy who is disabled and cant shoot a vertical bow.

I agree with most everyone that crossbows should be left for the ones that cant shoot a vertical bow by means of disability etc.

But saying that it isnt archery is a little extreme. You are still sending a stick with a point and fletchings through an animal at the same speeds as most compounds. You have to watch your shot angles just like a bow. You have to judge distance just like a bow. Deer can jump the string just like a bow.

Also someone else said tie crossbow in with muzzleloader?
Why? Because you feel someone has an advantage over you?

That deafeats the whole purpose of having a crossbow, why not just have a muzzleloader if it is in the same season. :confused:

If it flings its archery and if it goes boom its a gun.

LCU

I excluded the disabled from this. Read from the beginning.

Why open CB during ML?
Just like you can bow hunt during rifle season.
I do.

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
LCU said:
I excluded the disabled from this. Read from the beginning.

Why open CB during ML?
Just like you can bow hunt during rifle season.
I do.

Be open minded. Thats by choice, not because if you want to kill a deer you are forced too like during archery only seasons.

I bet in Tn if crossbow opened with muzzleloader you would never see a crossbow again.