Compound or crossbow for a old newb

Long walker

Semi old fart looking to extend hunting season as I head toward retirement. Currently hunting rifle and muzzleloader and trying to decide on what archery direction to go.

I like the rifle style/scope aiming of the crossbow but there's a certain appeal for the draw and shoot of a compound.

I do like to work on tinker with my own gear so the Excalibur crossbows appealed to me but I don't know enough about compounds to know what brands/models lend themselves to being adjusted without a bow press.

I'm open to any and all advice including specific brands and models. Thanks in advance for all of your sage advice.

WTNBowHunter

I started bow hunting when I was about 14-15 for the same reason as you, be in the woods sooner. I'm 38 and, by God's grace, still able to draw a bow back. Hope to for another 25+ years! If you go compound, they're all good nowadays. I love my Halon 32 at 70lbs & 30" draw (it's blistering fast compared to my first Hoyt Lightning Flite) but, there are lots of new bows out now that are plenty fast for killing a whitetail that don't require you to be able to draw 60-70lbs of draw weight. Matthews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite, etc…
If you've got cuff or labrum issues you may want to go with a crossbow. From a practice perspective, it takes a minute to get comfortable shooting a compound and may be more than what you'd like to do and tough on bad shoulders. I know nothing about the crossbows so I'm of no help there just know they are deadly for sure.
Best thing to do is go shoot some compounds and see what you think. It's a lot of fun and extremely addictive! Post pics of your setup and good luck!

philsanchez76

Hickory creek mini gives you best of both worlds. It's basically a small compound with a bull pup stock bolted on. Shoots normal carbon arrows and not bolts. You can string it yourself. You can adjust draw weights. You can decock without discharging. I love it. Killed 6 deer in the last 2 years. Deadly out to 40 yards.

UCStandSitter

Am middle aged and in decentish shape. I still rock a bow and plan to as long as the Lord allows. I feel like if I CAN use a bow instead of a crossbow, that's what I want to do. Ups the degree of difficulty and that's part of the allure for me. To each their own though.

Edit: I should add, when it comes to tuning a bow, good to get to know your local bow tech especially if you're just getting started. Most will help you tinker for free if they aren't busy (especially if you buy the bow from them).

Last edited:

Simple question, simple answer.

Crossbow doesn't require practice, not very challenging once the shot presents itself, still gotta get close, still gotta know range.

Compound is MUCH more challenging, requires much more practice and tweaking.

the same level of accuracy is much more difficult to attain with a compound compared to a crossbow.

If you don't have the time and dedication, hunt with a crossbow!

NOTHING wrong with either!

Just HUNT and enjoy!

Gravey

I rarely bow hunt anymore because it's too hot and don't want to fight the ticks and mosquitos for a deer. That said I was drawn for President's Island last October so started shooting my bow again. My buddy that was drawn with me had 2 crossbows and said I could use one if I wanted too. I entertained the idea but when I went to his house they were much heavier than my bow and I didn't see a real advantage for me so I stuck with my bow. I'll be 49 this month and if I archery hunt will continue with a bow as long as I can physically pull one back. Of course I could change my mind next week too. 😆

Mule deer

Deer can easily be killed by a bow, turned down to 50-55lbs, and heavier, 475-550gr, arrows. A 50lb bow is smooth & easy to pull back. I have a torn labrum and have had 3 shoulder surgeries. I'll keep turning the pounds down and keep hunting with a compound bow. I can't bring myself to hunt with a crossbow.

Outrigger

I own both and I am very close to 69 in relatively good condition, so I will give you my thoughts. I occasionally target shoot with the crossbow, but invariably go to my compound to deer hunt Just because I find it more fun. If you are in good shape and have the time and commitment to develop skills with a compound, I would recommend that you go that route. If it is just a passive interest you have, go with the crossbow. A fifty or even forty pound compound will kill a deer all day long. Far as that goes, a forty pound recurve will do the same. Like I said, my compound is my go to for hunting, but I am considering a recurve for next season.

Specializedjon

I own both now. Haven't hunted with the crossbow yet but I'll tell ya, it's very accurate and I'm hitting a 4" circle at 60 yds. Of course, on a bench without a buck looking at me....heartrate low

My $.02, make sure if you go the crossbow route that you get one that's easy to chocolate chip cookie. My is the string/hook method and it's not as easy as I thought. Not "hard" by any means but there are easier cocking methods out there if you've got some shoulder issues to avoid.

dsa5455

Don't go much anymore but I will say I "like" my crossbow but I "love" my compound. Maybe because that is what I started with. Back in the day you couldn't use a crossbow unless you were a broken down old guy or a younger guy with major shoulder issues. Use to love going to the archery range in Old Hickory and practicing.

Latest posts