Crossbow vs compound

gobblinfool

I was walking to my stand the other day thinking......I could have bought a crossbow for less money and be more accurate out of the box, keeping in mind that with BHs I can center punch the target at 60yd with my Elite Victory 37.

Not a bash thread, but tell me why I shouldn't recommend a crossbow to a new hunter? My Elite probably cost $800 naked, rest, sights, stabilizer and I am looking at $1300 easy, but I can buy a expensive crossbow at wally world for $500 that is set up to go, just need broadhead/expandables to go hunting.

Why is there such a difference in cost? CB seems to provide instant success which is geared more to the millennial mindset.....I have a couple kids at home that would be more willing to hunt with a CB than a rifle....less noise/kick.

I know many stick shooters that look down their noses at guys with training wheels......are we doing the same thing to those that use the CB? I have a buddy who's eye sight isn't what it used to be so he got a CB and now he can spend more time in the stand.

Fulldraw61

gobblinfool":1dmvj477 said:
I was walking to my stand the other day thinking......I could have bought a crossbow for less money and be more accurate out of the box, keeping in mind that with BHs I can center punch the target at 60yd with my Elite Victory 37.

Not a bash thread, but tell me why I shouldn't recommend a crossbow to a new hunter? My Elite probably cost $800 naked, rest, sights, stabilizer and I am looking at $1300 easy, but I can buy a expensive crossbow at wally world for $500 that is set up to go, just need broadhead/expandables to go hunting.

Why is there such a difference in cost? CB seems to provide instant success which is geared more to the millennial mindset.....I have a couple kids at home that would be more willing to hunt with a CB than a rifle....less noise/kick.

I know many stick shooters that look down their noses at guys with training wheels......are we doing the same thing to those that use the CB? I have a buddy who's eye sight isn't what it used to be so he got a CB and now he can spend more time in the stand.
I shoot both but prefer compound. Equally accurate with both but compound is lighter and faster if i need follow up shot. I hunt in stand with compund and still hunt or out of blind with xbow. They are both primitive weapons so i don't bash anyone for using xbow. Some people with past injuries unable to pull and hold a bow may not have a choice. As far as price i have wondered myself why the cost difference. Even some xbows are up around 1100 dollars and I just can't justify the cost difference. I guess is all preference.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

gobblinfool

This year I have had a couple chances blown due to looking to see if it is a doe ore if it is a spike....having a scope would have helped determine...less movement than grabbing binoculars....had a doe at 20yds Saturday at first light, property owner dog was loose and pushed her past me....couldn't get her to stop.....

lightsareout

Me and my hunting buddies have this discussion all the time. To me I enjoy the art and practice of compound archery; crossbow does not require the same level of discipline and takes all sport and challenge out of it. There have been times hunting public I've thought "If i only had a crossbow I could sit on the ground and pick one off" but I would not feel accomplished in that harvest. It comes down to personal preference. The only thing that really bothers me about crossbows are people who shoot them and refer to themselves as archers (which they are not).

chebuck

I see your point. I personally prefer the compound but have some buddies that shoot a crossbow. To me each has its advantages.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I shoot a compound, and sometimes wish I had a crossbow just to open up the option of hunting the box blinds on the property I hunt on. I'm happy to just be out hunting. Right now I prefer the compound, but I know as I age, I may not be able to keep drawing it well enough to use it.

Latest posts