Crossbow

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Last question. I think. And thank you TreyB for starting this thread.

Hunt is over and I didn't see a deer or one I wanted to shoot or that was in range. My ole smoke pole I can just take target practice on a tree. Do I shoot the bolt into the ground before descending the tree in my climber?
I made a decocking bag out of old blue jeans. One pants leg, then all of the scraps crammed in as tight as you can. Takes up very little space. I use a dedicated aluminum arrow for this purpose

utvolsfan77

Hunt is over and I didn't see a deer or one I wanted to shoot or that was in range. My ole smoke pole I can just take target practice on a tree. Do I shoot the bolt into the ground before descending the tree in my climber?
I wouldn't damage the broadhead by doing that. Buy a discharge bolt at Walmart or Rural King for about 10 bucks. Use it only to fire the crossbow before you descend the tree.

TheLBLman

I believe some of the newer crossbows allow you to de-chocolate chip cookie without just shooting it.
Recurve crossbows have always been easy to de-chocolate chip cookie (don't have to shoot them),
which was another reason I was drawn to the recurves.

cbhunter

Yes, I carry one of the bolts that came with the crossbow for this purpose. First thing I did was order new bolts when I bought the sniper 370. Most bolts that come with packages aren't going amount to much.

Pioneer1789

I take the bolt out and put it back in the quiver. Walk back to the house and shoot a bolt with a field point into my archery target. Mission bows have that sweet decocking system, but I don't have that kind of money for a crossbow right now.

Crow Terminator

Yep most of the newer ones have a method to let them down.

The Mission decocking is very crude. It can be done but you'd better be on your A game because the weight goes from nothing to 250 lbs in an instant. If you ever shot a high letoff compound vertical bow, you know what I am talking about when you go to let one down. Now imagine that with 250# draw weight. Cocking it is easy though because the weight steadily ramps up then just gets sort of tight just before the cams roll over.

I'm interested to see the Ten Point decocking system. They were already leaps and bounds ahead of Mission when it came to the cocking system. At the time I was looking at them, they had a bow called the Stealth and Titan M1. I liked both of them and especially the Stealth but the dealer I was at said he wasn't having good luck with the customer service at Ten Point at that time and didn't know if they were going to carry them much longer. Kinda made me feel more comfortable going with the Mission.

Rakkin6

Yep most of the newer ones have a method to let them down.

The Mission decocking is very crude. It can be done but you'd better be on your A game because the weight goes from nothing to 250 lbs in an instant. If you ever shot a high letoff compound vertical bow, you know what I am talking about when you go to let one down. Now imagine that with 250# draw weight. Cocking it is easy though because the weight steadily ramps up then just gets sort of tight just before the cams roll over.

I'm interested to see the Ten Point decocking system. They were already leaps and bounds ahead of Mission when it came to the cocking system. At the time I was looking at them, they had a bow called the Stealth and Titan M1. I liked both of them and especially the Stealth but the dealer I was at said he wasn't having good luck with the customer service at Ten Point at that time and didn't know if they were going to carry them much longer. Kinda made me feel more comfortable going with the Mission.
My Tenpoint came out one year prior to the decocking system so I use a discharge arrow for mine, but I do have the Acudraw Pro which turns a 250 pound draw weight into 15. My buddy has one of last year's models with the AcuSlide that will chocolate chip cookie and decock for you and it is simple and you doesnt have the jerk you were talking about with the Mission.

Latest posts