Crossbow

dpmiller613

I bought a Killer Instinct Ripper 425 this year. So far, just on targets, it seems to be very accurate out to 50 yards. I'm not a crossbow guy, actually hate them, but I can't draw and hold a bow any more so I had to give in to old age. I've had to do very little tuning so far and it seems to be holding it's aim points very well. You can find a package online with a scope, quiver and three carbon fiber bolts for $400 or less. Well worth a look. Reason I tried it was because a friend of mine with a shop has been selling a lot of the KIs over the last few years and everyone seems to really like them.

Crow Terminator

I hate to be "that guy" but I have to be.

Go shoot as many as you can. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the one you thought you would like, you'll not like at all.

They all feel different...some are harder to draw than others. Some are extremely loud. Some recoil rather hard too. I went in the shop intended on buying a Wicked Ridge that was highly rated in YouTube videos, online articles, etc. Bow shop guy knew me and said "Daniel you'd better shoot some of these first". That Wicked Ridge ended up being last on my list of likes. I've not shot any in a couple years but I left that day with a Mission Sub1 XR. They aren't cheap but neither are fully rigged compounds. $1,500 is nothing in bows any more.

Mescalero

No matter which one I get my budget is $350-$550
Right now wicker ridge invader x4 is winning. Actually BP has it on sale from $550 to $399
I with you man. No way I'm paying more for a crossbow for a couple weeks extension of the season, especially figuring in bolts, broadheads, field points, target, case, ………

tnanh

Look at Wyvern creations for some iseas. The owner is very helpful if you call or text him also. I have an excalibur micro 340. Not a fan of crossbows but I have gotten to the age where it hurts to shoot my compound. If you are anywhere close to Memphis or Linden you are welcome to run a few shots through mine. I took the scope off and put a Bushmell yrs 25 on it. All those
Lines in the crossbow scope were just too much for me.

TreyB

Look at Wyvern creations for some iseas. The owner is very helpful if you call or text him also. I have an excalibur micro 340. Not a fan of crossbows but I have gotten to the age where it hurts to shoot my compound. If you are anywhere close to Memphis or Linden you are welcome to run a few shots through mine. I took the scope off and put a Bushmell yrs 25 on it. All those
Lines in the crossbow scope were just too much for me.
Appreciate the offer but I'm on the other side of the state. Yeah not a fan of the lines in the scopes

Crow Terminator

I with you man. No way I'm paying more for a crossbow for a couple weeks extension of the season, especially figuring in bolts, broadheads, field points, target, case, ………
Most of that stuff comes with them. They usually come with quiver, 3 bolts, and a soft case. All you really need if you don't have one, is the target and broadheads. They pretty much come with everything you need.

I still recommend going somewhere to shoot them. I was in exactly the same boat with the same price range as you have now. I looked into the ease of cocking as one of the big selling points. I didn't really want a crank but Ten Point has the crank system spot on if you go that route...not sure if they implemented it into their Wicked Ridge line yet. It's much better then Mission, and I think they have made it even better now by being able to safely let the string back down. You can do it on the Mission but you better have a death grip on it when you do. One thing I quickly found out is...they are extremely finicky on tilt/cant. Just being off a smidge in being level will cause huge variation in impact. A compound vertical bow is much more forgiving. If you shoot a crossbow on the bench or with a rest, you can be scary accurate out to 100 yards for target shooting. If I shoot it off handed, I might be lucky to hit a 3 inch dot at 30 yards. Btw...pulling bolts is a chore. They blow through bag targets and other types, they drive up in them so far that you don't even want to shoot anywhere inside of 50 yards.

Snake

I bought a Killer Instinct Ripper 425 this year. So far, just on targets, it seems to be very accurate out to 50 yards. I'm not a crossbow guy, actually hate them, but I can't draw and hold a bow any more so I had to give in to old age. I've had to do very little tuning so far and it seems to be holding it's aim points very well. You can find a package online with a scope, quiver and three carbon fiber bolts for $400 or less. Well worth a look. Reason I tried it was because a friend of mine with a shop has been selling a lot of the KIs over the last few years and everyone seems to really like them.
Sounds like me hate em but have no choice . Bought a Killer Instinct Boss 405. Less than $300 for the whole set up . If I can't kill a deer with the way it shoots I'll give up bow hunting.

Mescalero

Sounds like me hate em but have no choice . Bought a Killer Instinct Boss 405. Less than $300 for the whole set up . If I can't kill a deer with the way it shoots I'll give up bow hunting.
I've looked at those as well on-line. What is the draw pull like? The Killer Instinct Lethal 405 that I've checked out has a draw pull of 210 lbs, which seems like a lot to me. The Centerpoints and Barnetts that I've looked at have 185 lb draws.

dpmiller613

Actually I can't tell you what the draw is. I have the rope cocker, you place a foot in the stirrup and pull up to chocolate chip cookie the bow. I think the rope cocker reduced the draw weight by it's design. I'm 77, not as robust as I used to be but I have absolutely no trouble cocking the bow. And honestly, a 25# differential in draw weight is negligible.

uncle_loue

I've had dirt cheap crossbows (PSE Copperhead) and midrange crossbows (Carbon Express Covert SLS). They both were silly easy to shoot accurately at archery distances. Neither ever required any unusual or overly burdensome maintenance. I think the greatest gain in spending more money on a crossbow is portability. The more expensive models do the same thing the cheap ones do; they simply do it in a lighter and often slimmer profile package. Now that I've been saddle hunting for 3 seasons the profile has become more of an issue. Toward that end my next crossbow will likely be a Hickory Creek vertical crossbow. Looks like a small mom n' pop business but I've seen good reviews that the owner is responsive and helpful.

Snake

I've looked at those as well on-line. What is the draw pull like? The Killer Instinct Lethal 405 that I've checked out has a draw pull of 210 lbs, which seems like a lot to me. The Centerpoints and Barnetts that I've looked at have 185 lb draws.
I'm 67 got a bad back and shoulder but have no issue cocking it with the cocking rope that comes with it .

Mescalero

Last question. I think. And thank you TreyB for starting this thread.

Hunt is over and I didn't see a deer or one I wanted to shoot or that was in range. My ole smoke pole I can just take target practice on a tree. Do I shoot the bolt into the ground before descending the tree in my climber?

dpmiller613

Nope, I think about all of the newer, quality crossbows have decock procedure so you don't have todo all of the gyrations used over the years. I'd suggest you look at the manuals for whatever you think you want to purchase to see what they offer in that regard.

Latest posts