Crawfish Reward

Trapper John

I spent half the day up on the roof laying down tar and mesh and some new, creative profanities. I decided I needed a reward for fixing that leak. Crawfish pie with a real lard pie crust sounded good. I don't really have a recipe and I never make it the same way twice. I've made this same filling but kept it looser and poured it over rice in the past and it's just as good. The filling is basically sautéed bell pepper, onion, and garlic (Sorry I just don't love celery), Creole seasoning, a tiny bit of tomato paste, green onion, parsley, flour, and a liquid of your choice. In the past I've used crawfish stock, shrimp stock, water, Half and Half, and cream. Wouldn't recommend the water but the rest turned out fine.

Trapper John

BamaProud":28rfj9gc said:
Is it basically an Etouffee pie?

It looks great. Where did you get the crawfish?

Pretty much. There are dedicated crawfish pie recipes out there but a lot of them rely on canned mushroom soup and that kind of thing. Nothing against that but it's just not my favorite.

The crawfish came from some guys in Murfreesboro who make a weekly run to Louisiana. They've set up shop as the Louisiana Seafood Company. They always get good quality bugs and shrimp.