No chili tonight, crawfish etouffee instead!

tellico4x4

IMG_20240119_184359513.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_184520606.jpg
    IMG_20240119_184520606.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 13

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Jealous. I was in Arkansas last summer at Daisy Nationals and some folks from the Louisiana team were cooking up a big batch and giving it out. Oh my, it was g-u-d!!! I'm not a crawfish fan per se, but in etouffee it is incredible!

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I have gotten to where I make gumbo just as I like it…but I'm going to need some guidance on this. Love etouffee about as much, but haven't made it. What's different in the process, other than adding the crawfish late in the process?

MusicCityCajun

I have gotten to where I make gumbo just as I like it…but I'm going to need some guidance on this. Love etouffee about as much, but haven't made it. What's different in the process, other than adding the crawfish late in the process?
Etouffee is much thicker. Instead of adding water until soupy, I add just enough chicken broth to thin it to a saucy consistency. And in the etouffee I add about 4-6 oz of crushed tomatoes, which I don't put any tomato in my gumbo.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Etouffee is much thicker. Instead of adding water until soupy, I add just enough chicken broth to thin it to a saucy consistency. And in the etouffee I add about 4-6 oz of crushed tomatoes, which I don't put any tomato in my gumbo.

See now it's funny you say that, because I make my gumbo to a "gravy" consistency instead of a soup—and I make it "creole" style with tomatoes.

Guess I'd just need to make it a tad thicker, and hold the okra.

tellico4x4

Roux needs to be light peanut butter color instead of chocolate like gumbo. Only veggies I use are onion, bell pepper, celery & garlic. Green onions & fresh parsley optional. Crawfish tails added last 5 minutes.

Note: on this batch I did add some tomato paste kinda Ralph & Kaccos style, but doubt I will again. Better w/o tomato taste imo.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Roux needs to be light peanut butter color instead of chocolate like gumbo. Only veggies I use are onion, bell pepper, celery & garlic. Green onions & fresh parsley optional. Crawfish tails added last 5 minutes.

Note: on this batch I did add some tomato paste kinda Ralph & Kaccos style, but doubt I will again. Better w/o tomato taste imo.
Do you use chicken stock instead? I've never made it, but browsing several recipes on the web, they used some type of stock or broth.

Oldschool

Trying my luck at making it today for the first time. Looked up several recipes on the internet. Can you use shrimp and crawfish in the same batch?

MusicCityCajun

How did it turn out Oldschool? I see no reason why you couldn't throw both meats in… the Cajun way is "if you have it, throw it in there" haha.
We had an extra pack of crawfish tails already defrosted from last weekend so we made a crawfish pie tonight. It was delicious.

Latest posts