Crawfish boil

BamaProud

Do you have a boiling basket for your pot? I wouldn't advising using less than a 5gal pot. You are really better off closer to 10 gallons if you are going to boil a sack.

Purge your crawfish in clean water for a couple of hours.
Add salt, lemons, onions, Zattarans seafood boil(in bags) and a small bottle of their liquid boil.
Bring to a rapid boil.
Add potatoes/corn and anything else that might take more than 6-8 mins to cook.
Add sausage and any other meats/vegetables that take less than 5 mins to cook.
Make sure potatoes are tender and bring back to a rapid boil.
Add live crawfish and boil 2-3 mins then turn off the burner and let everything soak for about 15 mins.
Repeat with the remainder of the crawfish in the same water. Remove the potatoes/corn etc as they are ready They can usually take 2-3 boil cycles before they become too mushy.

JCDEERMAN

Do you have a boiling basket for your pot? I wouldn't advising using less than a 5gal pot. You are really better off closer to 10 gallons if you are going to boil a sack.

Add salt, lemons, onions, Zattarans seafood boil(in bags) and a small bottle of their liquid boil.
Bring to a rapid boil.
Add live crawfish and boil 2-3 mins then turn off the burner and let everything soak for about 15 mins.
Repeat with the remainder of the crawfish in the same water. Remove the potatoes/corn etc as they are ready They can usually take 2-3 boil cycles before they become too mushy.
That's essentially what we do, but it seems the process takes quite a while. We usually start around 4pm, but we have a big pot and it takes a while to get going. I think we cook a tad longer and let soak for 30 minutes afterwards. So good!

6967666C-03AE-491E-8EAC-4AE4B7527875.jpeg

7584C3C4-8717-4769-A9F6-446D6F848099.jpeg

BamaProud

I think we cook a tad longer and let soak for 30 minutes afterwards. So good!

Yea those times I posted are actual boil times. It takes a few extra minutes to get things back to a boil when you add another ingredient. I'd say 30 mins total time in pot (including soak) is about right for the crawfish.

I have a 65,000 BTUs Darkstar burner. I can get my 8 gallon pot boiling way faster than a typical "turkey firer".

TAFKAP

Anyone ever ordered from LA and done a large boil? Tips? I have pots and burners.

Cook the veggies first. Leave room in the pot for the bugs. When the veggies are about done, dump the bugs in and bring the water back to a boil. Kill the heat, and cool the water to about "too hot bathtub" temperature. Let it all soak.

There's no such thing as purging. They're never going to clear out the vein. Hose them off in a baby pool and agitate to get as much of the mud off them as possible.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
Add some Brussel sprouts and also some cheese tortellini right at the end of the boil. I had it a few weeks ago at one and it was amazing!

jetwrnch

Bring to a rapid boil.
I've got several pots up to 65 gallons and a huge burner. I didn't think a sack would even fit in a 10 gallon pot. I was contemplating an 80 or 100 pot in the future.

jetwrnch

That makes more sense. I'm thinking about 30lbs steamed in a 45 gal pot then added to the 65 that has all the spices and veggies. Soak at 150. Saw this 2 pot method on YouTube and it seemed like a good idea.

TAFKAP

The reason people cook their veggies first, then add the bugs at the end is twofold. First, the onions and garlic will add flavor. When you drop the bugs in boiling water, the temp will drop. Keep the flame burning until it comes back to a boil. This cooks the bugs adequately, and ensures the potatoes and corn are done and soft. Cooling the water down (I've seen 2L bottles of water frozen into ice blocks) will let them soak without further cooking. This enhances the flavor, makes it so everything is hot, but not scalding.

Dump everything and start your next batch. It'll take that long for everyone to go through the first batch, instead of making a giant mountain at the front end and letting flies settle in and making a huge mess.

Latest posts