No chili tonight, crawfish etouffee instead!

JCDEERMAN

Took a stab at this tonight. The taste turned out phenomenal and I was quite proud. I was off on the consistency (added too much chicken stock). I did what the recipe called for, and will do everything the same next time, but will not add as much stock. Had a lot left over since the women wanted burgers, so I ended up putting the rice in there with it to soak up the extra juice. I guess now I have jambalaya 🤣. I have dinner now for tomorrow night at our cabin.
IMG_8595.jpeg
IMG_8594.jpeg

Mud Creek

Took a stab at this tonight. The taste turned out phenomenal and I was quite proud. I was off on the consistency (added too much chicken stock). I did what the recipe called for, and will do everything the same next time, but will not add as much stock. Had a lot left over since the women wanted burgers, so I ended up putting the rice in there with it to soak up the extra juice. I guess now I have jambalaya 🤣. I have dinner now for tomorrow night at our cabin.View attachment 217923View attachment 217924

Hungry Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

BigCityBubba

The best crawfish étouffée I have eaten came out of "The Gumbo Shop" cookbook. I went to the Gumbo Shop in NOLA and had to try it after having it out of their cookbook. It was not nearly as good. It had obviously been sitting in a big pot for a long time and the crawfish were little rubber balls. They also cut back on the spice. I try crawfish étouffée whenever I see it on a menu. The best étouffée I have ever eaten in a restaurant was the étouffée off of the Shoney's seafood buffet. They took it off their buffet because I think I was the only one to ever try it. I would load up my plate and pour the étouffée over everything. Thats got me thinking about catfish atchafalaya. Blackened catfish fillet on a bed of rice smothered in crawfish étouffée. I first got that at Steamboat Bills in Hendersonville.

I think this is the gumbo shop recipe

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 1/4 cup shrimp stock or chicken stock
1 lb peeled crawfish tails
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 Tbs chopped parsley

1. Set a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven over a medium heat. Melt the butter, add the flour and make a roux the color of peanut butter.

2. Add the chopped onion, celery and bell pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and the celery and bell pepper are tender. Add the garlic, basil, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, salt and paprika and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the Tabasco sauce and stock and bring to a gentle boil.

3. Add the crawfish tails, green onions and parsley.

4. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Serve over steamed rice.