Corn in 2023?

RobDooley

Yep. I know that deer are baited on properties behind mine. All the corn around us was out very early this year, mid October at the latest. Both deer I killed in mid November had picked up corn somewhere. These guys are bold enough to ride their side by sides on trailers with bagged corn in the beds, during season.
I don't believe that is illegal. I had a warden waiting for me one day when I came out of the woods. I have a low-profile camper top on my truck. Nevertheless, when I opened tailgate to put gear away, I revealed almost five hundred pounds of corn.

backyardtndeer

But the government telling an individual in other states that he cannot put out corn on his own land even with the purpose of harvesting a deer in the legal season does not sit right with me,
See the thing is, many of us who hunt private do follow the rules. It can make for an unfair advantage when those engaging in dumping corn basically cheat. I am sure I could get away with dumping corn or putting out a feeder, but I would know I cheated to get the deer. If it was legal in the state to use bait, it would be different.

BSK

At least one of my neighbors baits heavily. I didn't and don't care. Until I found them pouring huge piles of corn and big open jars of peanut butter directly on our shared property line. This prevents me from hunting my own property. It wasn't until I found the corn on the property line that I called in the game warden. Neighbor still hates me over that. Don't care. As long as I can't see it, I don't care if he/she baits. Just don't do anything to affect my hunting and we'll stay good neighbors.

RobDooley

See the thing is, many of us who hunt private do follow the rules. It can make for an unfair advantage when those engaging in dumping corn basically cheat. I am sure I could get away with dumping corn or putting out a feeder, but I would know I cheated to get the deer. If it was legal in the state to use bait, it would be different.
good point, I get it. when we bait in Ky, and it is not all season, you cannot see any feeders or feed sites from stands.

rifle02

Zero as far as the rules are concerned. It's clearly illegal to hunt over bait in TN and IMHO also not fair chase. But, there will be many who disagree. I think it changes the dynamics of trying to predict the goings and comings of mature bucks and I prefer to try to understand them in their natural environment.
The thing is thousands of hunters have no real interest in mature bucks, only meat!

CrossVolle

I don't have a crop field within several miles of me. The closest one is the Corn Maze that's 3 or 4 miles away. If I spread out a hundred pounds of corn behind the house, it will be gone in 3 days. Gone, gone. I haven't had any out since mid September, but I'm going to throw some out in the next week or two just to see what I can see.View attachment 163459View attachment 163460View attachment 163461
There is not a place in the world more infested with turkeys than eastern Knox county. It is insane.

fairchaser

How is a lush food plot a natural environment ? Not trying to start an argument but food plots are on most leases now and really effective but not natural. If the data says these corn piles or feeders are killing our deer plus our turkeys why are more and more states bordering us allowing it.
Food plots tend to congregate hunters more than deer. Once deer are spooked off a food plot they usually don't come back until after dark. They will be programmed to feed after dark as herd animals. The natural movement of deer can be impacted by food plots. Feeders are the same. Hunters should hunt travel routes hundreds of yards away but they usually don't! The biggest difference in food plots and feeders is the concentration of deer. It's less likely a deer feeding in a plot will put its nose in the same spot as another deer but it's very likely around feeders. Thus, spreading diseases like CWD. The 18000 acres I hunt don't have a single food plot but instead has 3000 acres of crop fields. Deer aren't concentrated nor are hunters.

BSK

I guess I'm old school, but isn't deer hunting supposed to be hard? When I grew up, you started hunting the easier, high-action species first. Then you worked your way up the difficulty/skill/patience ladder of species. At the top of the ladder were deer. They took the most skill, knowledge and patience to successfully kill. Again, call me old-school, but I thought the point of hunting - and deer hunting in particular - was all about learning the woodsmanship skills to be regularly successful. And I don't see any difference between meat hunting and trophy hunting.

Snake

Food plots tend to congregate hunters more than deer. Once deer are spooked off a food plot they usually don't come back until after dark. They will be programmed to feed after dark as herd animals. The natural movement of deer can be impacted by food plots. Feeders are the same. Hunters should hunt travel routes hundreds of yards away but they usually don't! The biggest difference in food plots and feeders is the concentration of deer. It's less likely a deer feeding in a plot will put its nose in the same spot as another deer but it's very likely around feeders. Thus, spreading diseases like CWD. The 18000 acres I hunt don't have a single food plot but instead has 3000 acres of crop fields. Deer aren't concentrated nor are hunters.
I wasn't arguing or discussing the CWD issue I was just saying a man-made foot plot is not natural.

Snake

I guess I'm old school, but isn't deer hunting supposed to be hard? When I grew up, you started hunting the easier, high-action species first. Then you worked your way up the difficulty/skill/patience ladder of species. At the top of the ladder were deer. They took the most skill, knowledge and patience to successfully kill. Again, call me old-school, but I thought the point of hunting - and deer hunting in particular - was all about learning the woodsmanship skills to be regularly successful. And I don't see any difference between meat hunting and trophy hunting.
Amen brother. Most now which I'm not saying it's wrong but hunting in a shooting house looking over a food plot IMO is not much hunting .

BSK

Amen brother. Most now which I'm not saying it's wrong but hunting in a shooting house looking over a food plot IMO is not much hunting .
I agree. That's why I rarely do it. In the 40+ years I've been deer hunting, I've never shot a buck off a food plot (and I spend a ton of money and time on my plots). Plenty of does, but never a buck. Just doesn't seem like hunting.

skipperbrown

I wasn't arguing or discussing the CWD issue I was just saying a man-made foot plot is not natural.
It's hard to argue that a fall, or year round for that matter, food plot isn't more than a wide area spin feeder. They are both put there to attract and support deer and other game to help make your hunts more successful. I plant food plots and I kill more deer than most. I'm not a better hunter, I just attract more deer to my land.

DoubleRidge

It's hard to argue that a fall, or year round for that matter, food plot isn't more than a wide area spin feeder. They are both put there to attract and support deer and other game to help make your hunts more successful. I plant food plots and I kill more deer than most. I'm not a better hunter, I just attract more deer to my land.
Agree...IF the end game is to only attract and kill deer....sure....both baiting and food plots both are designed to attract and hold more deer.

Difference being year-round food plot programs benefit deer year-round where a corn feeder attracts deer (can't say it benefits them much) during the hunting season....if anyone thinks "deer corn" sales are consistent year around they are kidding themselves....it's purchased for the sole purpose to kill deer with as little effort as possible...not to benefit wildlife.

Where food plots can benefit a variety of wildlife...not just deer and turkey...but song birds, pollinators, etc.....food plots can also create nesting and fawning cover as well.

A dirt spot under a corn feeder...with critters waiting on a timer to sling corn...but then in January the feeding stops?....deer season is over....not much benefit.... actually more harm than good.

How about managing native forage through herbicide application, disking and burning....this is also manipulation of forage to attract and hold more deer....but like food plots...when done correctly....those practices far surpass any benefits of slinging bagged corn offers.

No disrespect to anyone on this thread...but to say there is no difference between feeding bagged corn and managing a year-round food plot program is just not true....there is a difference....and if we are talking about what actually benefits wildlife....there's a big difference.

Last edited:

Snake

Agree...IF the end game is to only attract and kill deer....sure....both baiting and food plots both are designed to attract and hold more deer.

Difference being year-round food plot programs benefit deer year-round where a corn feeder attracts deer (can't say it benefits them much) during the hunting season....if anyone thinks "deer corn" sales are consistent year around they are kidding themselves....it's purchased for the sole purpose to kill deer with as little effort as possible...not to benefit wildlife.

Where food plots can benefit a variety of wildlife...not just deer and turkey...but song birds, pollinators, etc.....food plots can also create nesting and fawning cover as well.

A dirt spot under a corn feeder...with critters waiting on a timer to sling corn...but then in January the feeding stops?....deer season is over....not much benefit.... actually more harm than good.

How about managing native forage through herbicide application, disking and burning....this is also manipulation of forage to attract and hold more deer....but like food plots...when done correctly....those practices far surpass any benefits of slinging bagged corn offers.

No disrespect to anyone on this thread...but to say there is no difference between feeding bagged corn and managing a year-round food plot program is just not true....there is a difference....and if we are talking about what actually benefits wildlife....there's a big difference.
But with this said and I agree some feed deer and other animals year round then what difference would it be ? Plus the point I was responding to is that a food plot is not natural !!

Falconi

It is entirely individual and property-specific. Next year I will plant food plots on my little 5 acre piece of ground. My place doesn't hold deer, they mostly just pass through. If I can get a few to hang around so I can collect some meat, then I'll do it. For me, a food plot ups the odds on my low-odds property. Will it work? I'll let you know in a year.

Headhunter

My favorite corn story is from KY. Guy who owns land near Hopkinsville and a group from Georgia lease land to hunt next to him. It is legal to bait in KY. The guy I know does not bait. He noticed the Georgia guys had bait out and were adding to the "bait" and while harvesting corn on his property, a good bit had spilled out, this was before gun season. He thought I will help the neighbors out. He scooped up a good bit and walked over to add to the neighbors "bait". The 2 guys got upset. They told him they had bought special corn and they did not want him mixing regular corn with their special corn. He looked and saw the corn from Walmart that had "deer corn" on them. He said he tried to tell them that "corn is corn". They would not hear of it, no way was the corn from his field as good as their "special" corn. He asked why do they eat the corn out of his field if they have special corn and some hilarious stuff. They knew how special the "deer corn" was and were not listening to anything else. Hard for me to believe that people actually exist who think that.

Latest posts