2023 Kill Thread

FourWFarm

There are a few first for this one:
  • The first one I have killed with snow on the ground (been hunting close to 40 years).
  • The first buck I have killed during the CWD extended season.
  • AND, the first one I have killed that tested positive for CWD.
I feel certain I've eaten some in the past that probably had CWD, but I just can't feed the family with one that I know tested positive.

CWD Buck2.jpg
CWD buck1.jpg

kaizen leader

There are a few first for this one:
  • The first one I have killed with snow on the ground (been hunting close to 40 years).
  • The first buck I have killed during the CWD extended season.
  • AND, the first one I have killed that tested positive for CWD.
I feel certain I've eaten some in the past that probably had CWD, but I just can't feed the family with one that I know tested positive.

View attachment 214289View attachment 214288
Nice buck, congrats. If you don't mind I have a few questions. Did it act like he had CWD? Did you field dress it? How did you get it tested? What did you do with the meat? What did you do with the carcass? Did TWRA teach you anything if so what?
I am curious as to what I should do if the start showing up in middle TN. Thank you.

FourWFarm

The deer acted normal. I had been watching 9 others in the plot and a small buck came out and started pestering some of them. All of the sudden, this guy came running out and chased the small buck away and then started eating with the rest of them.
I have had a few pictures of him throughout the season, and he had lost a lot of weight, but I attributed that to the rut.
I field dressed him at the edge of the field like normal and hung him overnight in the barn, which is on the same farm. The next morning, I skinned him out and quartered him like normal. I did wear rubber gloves for field dressing, skinning, and quartering.
The following day, I cleaned up the backstraps and tenderloins, then deboned everything and put everything in vacuum bags and into the freezer.
Basically, the only thing I didn't do is grind the burger. I was going to wait on the test report for that.
I cut the antlers off the head and carried the head and neck to a CWD test drop-off freezer on the way to work.
Then yesterday, I got an "unfortunately, your deer tested positive" email from TWRA and the email referenced www.cwdintn.com for additional information.

I still have the meat in the freezer, so soon, I will carry it to the landfill or bury it on the farm he came from.

kaizen leader

The deer acted normal. I had been watching 9 others in the plot and a small buck came out and started pestering some of them. All of the sudden, this guy came running out and chased the small buck away and then started eating with the rest of them.
I have had a few pictures of him throughout the season, and he had lost a lot of weight, but I attributed that to the rut.
I field dressed him at the edge of the field like normal and hung him overnight in the barn, which is on the same farm. The next morning, I skinned him out and quartered him like normal. I did wear rubber gloves for field dressing, skinning, and quartering.
The following day, I cleaned up the backstraps and tenderloins, then deboned everything and put everything in vacuum bags and into the freezer.
Basically, the only thing I didn't do is grind the burger. I was going to wait on the test report for that.
I cut the antlers off the head and carried the head and neck to a CWD test drop-off freezer on the way to work.
Then yesterday, I got an "unfortunately, your deer tested positive" email from TWRA and the email referenced www.cwdintn.com for additional information.

I still have the meat in the freezer, so soon, I will carry it to the landfill or bury it on the farm he came from.
Thank you sir. Much appreciated. Sorry about the waste. I'd probably eat it. Still a nice buck and great hunt.

Latest posts