Road kill, Spring 2023

AT Hiker

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing an abnormal amount of deer carnage off the road this Spring?
Anecdotally, last fall was way down and extremely delayed. But, it's like we are making up for it now. I'd say I'm seeing a new road kill, 5 out of 7 days a week for the past month. No fawns, just dead deer.
Just today I seen 3 new ones.

BSK

Was has shocked me has been the amount of roadkill all winter long. Normally you see the two peaks - the rut in fall and then does moving to find a fawning territory in late spring. But this year, I've seen high roadkill all winter. But then I'm driving through the "drought zone" from last summer/fall. Maybe deer had to move more all winter to find food in these drought ravaged areas.

Rob R.

Have not seen any new kills in the last couple weeks but in early March I was seeing them all over I55 to Memphis and Hwy 7 to Holly Springs and then I22/78 from Holly Springs to Memphis. I decided the north Mississippi deer heard had a death wish.

AT Hiker

I noticed the same as well BSK. I just attributed it to the later visual rut but as winter progressed and spring came I couldn't just ignore it anymore.

I'm seeing it in the Dickson, Montgomery and Christian Co KY areas. Def had droughty conditions but these recent kills are not related to that, surely.

DMD

I agree with has been said. Very little roadkill during the traditional "peak of the rut". Late winter into spring has seen the highways littered with deer carcasses. I've counted 4 fresh road kills within a 30 mile stretch of highway at least once this year. PLUS..I saw a roadkill beaver in front of Walmart a week or so ago. That was a new one. 😅

BPhunter

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing an abnormal amount of deer carnage off the road this Spring?
Anecdotally, last fall was way down and extremely delayed. But, it's like we are making up for it now. I'd say I'm seeing a new road kill, 5 out of 7 days a week for the past month. No fawns, just dead deer.
Just today I seen 3 new ones.
Seems to me that back east & midwest, as the populations continue their thirst for bigger city expansion, they are running these animals out of adequate foraging. Therefore they are moving around to other areas and bam!! Road kill.
Whereas out west of the Mississippi they have more wilderness area to roam and forage for food. I've seen very little road kill here in Commierado.

BSK

I noticed the same as well BSK. I just attributed it to the later visual rut but as winter progressed and spring came I couldn't just ignore it anymore.

I'm seeing it in the Dickson, Montgomery and Christian Co KY areas. Def had droughty conditions but these recent kills are not related to that, surely.
Add in Humphreys, Hickman and Cheatham counties for lots of winter road kill.

TheLBLman

I think this current, sustained increased road kill may remain related to the widespread poor mast and drought of 2022. I don't think it's just due to the possibility of more deer.

One issue (don't think anyone previously mentioned) is we simply have more traffic.

We've had tons of people move into Tennessee from large urban areas of California, Illinois, and Northeastern States. These people drive like New Yorkers. They may run over more deer than locals more accustomed to watching for deer along roadsides.

That said, hunters have somewhat backed off from slaughtering so many does in Unit L counties, in part because deer densities had become much lower than what most hunters would prefer. Assuming a widespread good fawn production in 2022, then there are (or were) higher numbers of young (less traffic wise) deer.

Someone stated what they're seeing now are not fawns.
Fawns born in June 2022 may have more the appearance of just another dead "doe".

Last edited:

Lt.Dan

I think this current, sustained increased road kill may remain related to the widespread poor mast and drought of 2022. I don't think it's just due to the possibility of more deer.

One issue (don't think anyone previously mentioned) is we simply have more traffic.

We've had tons of people move into Tennessee from large urban areas of California, Illinois, and Northeastern States. These people drive like New Yorkers. They may run over more deer than locals more accustomed to watching for deer along roadsides.

That said, hunters have somewhat backed off from slaughtering so many does in Unit L counties, in part because deer densities had become much lower than what most hunters would prefer. Assuming a widespread good fawn production in 2022, then there are (or were) higher numbers of young (less traffic wise) deer.

Someone stated what they're seeing now are not fawns.
Fawns born in June 2022 may have more the appearance of just another dead "doe".
Upstate New Yorkers are accustomed to deer in the road. We have a huge population of deer. Now for them NYC drivers, they suck. You are right on 😆

mike243

I have seen a upswing but at the same time seen more yotes run over too, I suspect they might be tied together. normally I see more ran over after they drop but earlier this year

Latest posts