Corn in 2023?

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
Not certain what percent of hunters utilize the "golden bait" in TN but I lived in Georgia for 28 years where it is now legal and a massive percentage of shooters utilize that resource to attract deer. In your opinion what percent of licensed deer hunters in TN use corn to kill deer?

fairchaser

Zero as far as the rules are concerned. It's clearly illegal to hunt over bait in TN and IMHO also not fair chase. But, there will be many who disagree. I think it changes the dynamics of trying to predict the goings and comings of mature bucks and I prefer to try to understand them in their natural environment.

Ski

Considering how fast it flies off the pallets at CO-OP, TSC, and Wal-Mart, I'd have to guess it's a tangible percentage. Maybe not a majority but certainly a chunk of the hunting population. I also kill deer every year with corn in their bellies, yet no corn fields anywhere in the area. So somebody is sure doing it. IMO, one thing TWRA has gotten right is not allowing bait, but I sure wish they'd put more effort into enforcing it.

13pt

Considering how fast it flies off the pallets at CO-OP, TSC, and Wal-Mart, I'd have to guess it's a tangible percentage. Maybe not a majority but certainly a chunk of the hunting population. I also kill deer every year with corn in their bellies, yet no corn fields anywhere in the area. So somebody is sure doing it. IMO, one thing TWRA has gotten right is not allowing bait, but I sure wish they'd put more effort into enforcing it.
Just FYI…I have two clients who are game wardens…one just recently retired. We've had this discussion. Both said all they do is "put out fires". They don't have time to be proactive looking for baiters, so the only baiters they can bust are those us ethical hunters turn in to them, but then they generally only have time to try to catch them once or twice before having to move onto the next "fire". So, my guess is this goes on more than we know, especially on privately owned properties. I'd imagine the skyrocketing price has curbed it somewhat, but it's goes on more than we know. My neighbors on two adjoining sides have been busted for baiting over the years. I don't know how the game warden found out 🤷‍♂️.

Jcalder

Who truly knows. I really don't know how trespassing on the neighbors property is less of an infraction than someone putting out food. At least the guy putting out corn is good for the economy and farmers. No, I don't bait, but I'm certainly not against it.

13pt

Who truly knows. I really don't know how trespassing on the neighbors property is less of an infraction than someone putting out food. At least the guy putting out corn is good for the economy and farmers. No, I don't bait, but I'm certainly not against it.
I may have completely misinterpreted your post since I'm on my second Margarita, but I have permission to be on both my neighbors property so probably not good to make assumptions. In both cases the hunters baiting didn't have permission, so there's that. I'm not against baiting either with the obvious exception it's illegal in TN.

Jcalder

I may have completely misinterpreted your post since I'm on my second Margarita, but I have permission to be on both my neighbors property so probably not good to make assumptions. In both cases the hunters baiting didn't have permission, so there's that. I'm not against baiting either with the obvious exception it's illegal in TN.
Did I call you a trespasser?

fairchaser

Just to add perspective to the baiting issue and the behavior of deer. Ames has started baiting with corn feeders in a non hunting area in order to catch and collar deer. In the previously non hunted area the deer came in daylight. In the previously hunted area, they fed after dark. After 4-5 days, they started coming in daylight too. It definitely changes their behavior. I'm curious to see what happens after they start netting and tranquilizing them.

deerhunter10

Less than you think. We couldn't afford it honestly. Food plots are way cheaper then a bag or corn especially it today's market. It's it legal I don't care. If it's illegal I don't care. I have hunted states that bait and the vast majority of big deer killed I've been around and known in Kentucky and mississippi are not over feeders.

Jcalder

No sir you didn't. Just couldn't make sense of the trespassing correlation with the exception it came right after my post. Like I said, could have completely misinterpreted it 🤷‍♂️.
It really had nothing to do with you, but you see it year after my year. My neighbor, my neighbor. He does this or that. If most of the baiters are being turned in because someone stumbled upon a corn pile, didn't that guy most likely break a law too.

13pt

It really had nothing to do with you, but you see it year after my year. My neighbor, my neighbor. He does this or that. If most of the baiters are being turned in because someone stumbled upon a corn pile, didn't that guy most likely break a law too.
Yep that makes sense for sure. I get what you're saying 👍

13pt

Less than you think. We couldn't afford it honestly. Food plots are way cheaper then a bag or corn especially it today's market. It's it legal I don't care. If it's illegal I don't care. I have hunted states that bait and the vast majority of big deer killed I've been around and known in Kentucky and mississippi are not over feeders.
This is very true, except, have you bought fertilizer lately for your food plot? 🤣

philsanchez76

Just FYI…I have two clients who are game wardens…one just recently retired. We've had this discussion. Both said all they do is "put out fires". They don't have time to be proactive looking for baiters, so the only baiters they can bust are those us ethical hunters turn in to them, but then they generally only have time to try to catch them once or twice before having to move onto the next "fire". So, my guess is this goes on more than we know, especially on privately owned properties. I'd imagine the skyrocketing price has curbed it somewhat, but it's goes on more than we know. My neighbors on two adjoining sides have been busted for baiting over the years. I don't know how the game warden found out 🤷‍♂️.
I know snitches get stitches but ill turn in every piece of sh&t that baits on public all day every day and twice on Tuesdays. turned one in this year and warden busted him. it sucks when you work hard to pattern deer in an area and then a guy starts doing that and changes everything. I abandoned that whole piece of public for the rest of the season after that. hopefully it's back to normal next season.

Latest posts