Coon/possum hunting

catman529

Raccoon and opossum season is open at night, but no centerfire as I understand... I wouldn't get in any kind of trouble would I, for walking around at night with a flashlight and .22 rifle? No dogs, just me looking for the critters. What about on a WMA open to small game/ statewide seasons. I don't want to get caught up doing something wrong without knowing it. Thanks

scn

I would check with the area manager or local officer before doing so. There are a couple of ways such actions could be interpreted, and I'm guessing in a lot of cases the officer would let the judge make the decision.

Most officers are going to be able to articulate that there have been more deer killed illegally by such methods than raccoons legally taken. IMO, it would not be a good idea.

catman529

So I would have to have dogs and be obviously coon hunting the traditional way? I guess a talk with the area mgr would be best for me. Thanks scn.

scn

I would opt for obviously coon hunting. What you are thinking about doing has a high likelihood of having problems. The first time your light goes across a field and is seen by an officer, you very likely are going to be cited for hunting deer in closed season and probably a couple of other violations as well.

catman529

That makes sense. It is easy to spot deer while shining a light, even just walking in and out of a hunting spot. Last night I brought my .22 for squirrels and a cart to haul out my lock-on stand. On the way out I saw a few eyes while shining the light which is why I decided to ask here about coon hunting. I also felt suspicious carrying a 22 and the light, but I had only been squirrel hunting and was hauling out a treestand so I figured I wasn't technically breaking any laws. Had to ask though because it seemed sketchy. Glad I did ask

scn

catman529 said:
That makes sense. It is easy to spot deer while shining a light, even just walking in and out of a hunting spot. Last night I brought my .22 for squirrels and a cart to haul out my lock-on stand. On the way out I saw a few eyes while shining the light which is why I decided to ask here about coon hunting. I also felt suspicious carrying a 22 and the light, but I had only been squirrel hunting and was hauling out a treestand so I figured I wasn't technically breaking any laws. Had to ask though because it seemed sketchy. Glad I did ask

If you were looking at deer eyes at night with a light and in possession of a rifle, there is no doubt that you were violating laws. You may not have intended to violate any laws, but ignorance of the law is not a legal defense.

It is always good to learn.

scn

When I came to work in Aug. of '77, I could have passed a lie detector test that I had NEVER violated a fish and game law. After about a week of going through the law book, I found out I was really a violating S.O.B.

I tried my best to remember that over the years that sometimes people just don't know.

It is one of the reasons I spend time on here. I would much rather educate than litigate.

catman529

So you can be shining a flashlight to see where you are going on your way out from hunting, and accidentally see some deer looking back at you, and that is a violation? I figure some officer discretion would be necessary there, but it's good to know that so I can avoid using the light whenever possible.

scn

catman529 said:
So you can be shining a flashlight to see where you are going on your way out from hunting, and accidentally see some deer looking back at you, and that is a violation? I figure some officer discretion would be necessary there, but it's good to know that so I can avoid using the light whenever possible.

Officer discretion come into play. if you see one accidently on your way out, it is a non-issue. If you are shining fields with your flashlight on the way out to look for deer, it would be a violation.

Most of our guys and gals are hunters, so they are pretty adept and discerning what is going on.

catman529

scn said:
catman529 said:

Officer discretion come into play. if you see one accidently on your way out, it is a non-issue. If you are shining fields with your flashlight on the way out to look for deer, it would be a violation.

Most of our guys and gals are hunters, so they are pretty adept and discerning what is going on.
ok cool, makes sense and thanks for the info as usual. As for coon and possum hunting on a WMA, if I decide to do it I will first talk with the area mgr.

fishboy1

Im not TWRA but.....

I ALWAYS have a head light on when walking in/out in low light or dark. Not looking for deer but want potential nuckleheads to KNOW I am not a deer. I would rather explain that to an officer than to get shot by some poacher or clown who was "shooting at a noise".

TAFKAP

There's a difference between a typical headlamp and the pack-a-car-battery Q-beam headlamp for coon hunting.

Latest posts