Coon hunting at night 1 month before Deer season??

CoastieHunter

Just like the title says...

I've got a FREE oppurtunity to have a buddy of mine come over with his dogs from 9pm-12am and hunt coons on my deer lease.

Thoughts of doing this 1 month before deer season??

3 things to consider-

1. It will be my sons first time firing a gun at a live animal.

2. No one at my lease will be there (but I'm respectful to their hunting as well as mine, I won't do it if I fear it scares off all deer, after your thoughts I'll be asking all lease members)

3. I've got 2 possible guns to use. 22, 12ga. What should I use for coons? I've always used my 22 and it was very affective without ruining the pelt.

CoastieHunter

Nevermind! :( just wanted to double check the "season" for raccoons and it's only 1 per night. That's some BS if you ask me! I've never lived in a state with a raccoon season.

1 Per night would not be worth the drive even.

rutnstrut2

All you are allowed is one per night? I got a place where I have traped three in one trap in one night before, I think they need to raise it to four or five a night. Should not scare deer with 22 or pellet gun I got a pellet gun that is like a 22 but not as loud.

dh1984

in the hunters hand book it says 2 per night per hunter but when i go hunting them wth my cuzen we always get one and call it quits and then go back in about 2 days afther that and get a other one and we always use a 22 with hollow points but some times if we are hunitng and don't want to scare anything we use he .22 shorts shells where it won't scare any live stock or anything when we shoot the coon out

stik

there was a lost "coon" (quotes because he was running deer) dog running deer several years ago for 3 or 4 nights before the owners finally found him. we didn't see a deer on the place for over 2 weeks. whether that had anything to do with it or not is anybody's guess.

now i believe coon dogs that don't run deer won't bother the deer hunting. i have killed deer several times in the morning after coon hunters had been hunting the same area all night.

BamaBucks

We kill coons at night and deer the next mornin all the time...Our dogs won't run deer though...

Also, use .22 CB longs to shoot them out....Sound like BB gun

AlabamaSwamper

No telling how many times I've rabbit hunted in thickets all day, return the next day and check a camera nearby and have pics on them after we left.

As long as the dogs don't bother the deer, they won't be botherd. Then again, I grew up deer hunting with dogs in Alabama and we never scared any off the property.

Latest posts