Colorado Mule Deer

ImThere

I highly recommend California if you want to kill a mule deer. IMHO. But AT is right those things are nasty. When you get back I'll take that meat off your hands to dispose of it properly

tellico4x4

Mark my words, its just a matter of time before wolves migrate to Estes Park and start decimating the herd there. Can you imagine tourists driving thru Moraine Park or beaver meadows, and watching elk being eaten alive, or just killed and left ?
We were in Jackson Hole the Christmas after they first released wolves into Yellowstone. Went to do the sleigh ride thru the elk refuge one morning. While getting tickets across hwy at museum I dropped a couple quarters into their pay telescope on the deck & started glassing the herd. Didn't take long for me to start seeing the wolves sitting on hillside above the refuge. I don't recall where they released them or how many were released, but in a years time they had migrated to their buffet. They spread and elk suffered. I knew a couple long time outfitters in Idaho that went out of business due to the decimation.
You are correct that they'll quickly move into Estes.

Mattt

Just as crowded 5 miles in. Maybe more so. And 10 trucks at the trailhead I'm going somewhere else. 100 acres in the southeast is at least 1000 out west. Pretty easy to blow out an entire drainage or canyon just being in the wrong spot when the thermals start swapping

ThorThor

I deer hunted CO third season in what was a very crowded otc unit for elk this year. I did not bother because it was a 16 point deer hunt and did not want to kill one of the seven days to deal with a average 3/4 year old bull. I had a couple opportunities at them without looking for them. They are there but you really have to cover ground and long distance glass. What is interesting is they many times are just out of sight of roads and people driving by a few hundred yards away have no idea they are there. They are not all back in 10 miles like people think. Main thing is you have to get out there and GO. Find a buddy split gas and get good at being homeless in the cold. My favorite time is being homeless. Pic is this years deer from CO.
9DFD17CA-DFAE-43D2-8414-866D77AA9A1F.jpeg

Last edited:

MidTennFisher

Mark my words, its just a matter of time before wolves migrate to Estes Park and start decimating the herd there. Can you imagine tourists driving thru Moraine Park or beaver meadows, and watching elk being eaten alive, or just killed and left ?

Sadly, that's probably what needs to happen so the idiots that supported releasing wolves will understand the negative effects of it. One of the draws to Estes is that you can walk around and see elk, deer, turkeys, all over the place.

I read somewhere that two of the wolves released were repeat cattle killers from Idaho. I'm not saying I advocate for breaking laws, but I am saying I'd gladly buy a whiskey for the ranchers who invoke the SSS method first time one of them bothers their livestock.

Latest posts