Component sources advice/info needed

Bambi Buster

A friend in Texas is getting back into rifle cartridge reloading in a big way after a 20-year layoff. He asked my advice about the cheapest internet sources for bulk quantities (at least 1000 or more) primers and jacketed bullets. Primary area of interest for now is .224 55 Gr. cannelured FMJBT and Federal small rifle primers. I don't have any recent experience in that area. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

mr.big

Natches has the 55 gr Hornady SP on sale for 9.99 a 100,,thats 99$$ a thousand,,and forget the Fed primers and get something you can actually get,,I am having good luck with current run WW WSR and CCI 400 and 450 primers,

DaveB

for
55 gr FMJBT under 9 cents a round no quantity restrictions
Also for new LC and once fired various headstamps (recommended non-crimped brass)
Brassmanbrass.com

For primers and powder
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

Yes, the Haz Mat fee is a pain. So is paying retail for primers and powder. Its a mathematical issue assuming cash position is not a restriction. You can order 40 or 50 pounds per hazmat fee which is 26 or 35 bucks it seems to be different everywhere. Midsouth and Powde Valley have very good prices.

Bambi Buster

This was exactly the type of response I had hoped to get. Most helpful. My thanks to all who replied. :super:

Just as a matter of curiosity, is there a reason that Federal primers seem to be in short supply (as pointed out by Mr. Big)?

Hunter 257W

And I'd also recommend just poking around the various websites for a while before ordering as I'm seeing sales where they will drop the Haz Mat fees under certain conditions. Hillary losing the election has already stopped all the panic buying from what i can tell.

PowderValley, MidSouth or Midway are my usual places for components.

You definitely need to order primers by the case rather than 1,000 at a time when buying through the mail. Same with powder. Get the big 8lb cans.

DaveB

According to Federal the demand for manufactured ammunition is so high, remains so high, that all components (primers, brass) are being consumed.

I am not necessarily a believer in that information.

CCI is owned by the same company that owns Federal. CCI primers have widespread availability. I think, don't really know, that CCI primer prices remain well above November 2013 levels which reflect obummer re-election not the Sandy Hook murders.

I very much favor Federal primers. Never ever had a FTF. At last count I have over 15,000 and would not hesitate to add to that number if some 215M or 210M or 205M-s were to appear.

What I think is that all Federal primer production is now designated for all ATK manufactured ammo including DoD ammo orders. CCI will pick up the re-loader demand.

I actually think post January 2017 the manufactured ammo crunch will lighten up and there may be some components on the market. Only time will tell. In the meantime buying primers in 1,000 item lots would have been considered a wise move in 2014.

Latest posts