Looking for advice

rattlesnake01

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, if not I'll delete it or move it if necessary. I'm looking to sell my Ar10 .308 but I've never sold one private party and not sure what I should be looking for in the person who would be willing to buy it, should I insist on them have a conceal carry license, just take there word that they can own a gun and get them to sign a piece of paper stating that? Should I go thru a gun shop to do a transfer? I've never bought or sold private party so I'm not sure what's the best way to cover my butt. Thanks guys

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Looks like you need about 75 more posts to list it in the classifieds here, or become a site supporter to get around the 100 post requirement to post there. Face to face sale in state, all that is required of you is that you ask(don't really have to have written verification) if the person is legally able to purchase, and unless you have reason to believe that they are not, you are in the clear. I'd still have a bill of sale with their name, address, and DL# on it, just to keep in my own files.

Jcalder

Just do like everyone and list it. Not like it's enforced.

Seriously tho, the post above is spot on. Just ask if they're legally able to buy and go on about your business. I have no idea how many I've bought or sold but I can only remember filling out one bill of sale. Couldn't even tell you the guys name. He wanted it, not me. I still don't get the guys that will only sell to a ccp holder. Who knows if it's still valid. All it means is at one time they passed all the legal requirements to carry, which is way more than the legal requirements to own a gun.

rattlesnake01

Just do like everyone and list it. Not like it's enforced.

Seriously tho, the post above is spot on. Just ask if they're legally able to buy and go on about your business. I have no idea how many I've bought or sold but I can only remember filling out one bill of sale. Couldn't even tell you the guys name. He wanted it, not me. I still don't get the guys that will only sell to a ccp holder. Who knows if it's still valid. All it means is at one time they passed all the legal requirements to carry, which is way more than the legal requirements to own a gun.
Thanks man. I'm gonna post it up later today.

DaveTN

You are not required to have a bill of sale, but it's your responsibility to know the buyer is of age and is a Tennessee resident, that's why I require one. Obviously you can't sell to someone that is known by you to be a felon.

I've had out of state residents try to meet me in Tennessee to buy a gun I had for sale, and I've seen out of state residents advertise for face to face sales to Tennessee residents. Both are felonies. Be careful, it's the wrong time to be going to trial on a gun charge.

rattlesnake01

You are not required to have a bill of sale, but it's your responsibility to know the buyer is of age and is a Tennessee resident, that's why I require one. Obviously you can't sell to someone that is known by you to be a felon.

I've had out of state residents try to meet me in Tennessee to buy a gun I had for sale, and I've seen out of state residents advertise for face to face sales to Tennessee residents. Both are felonies. Be careful, it's the wrong time to be going to trial on a gun charge.
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it

Ed Cude

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, if not I'll delete it or move it if necessary. I'm looking to sell my Ar10 .308 but I've never sold one private party and not sure what I should be looking for in the person who would be willing to buy it, should I insist on them have a conceal carry license, just take there word that they can own a gun and get them to sign a piece of paper stating that? Should I go thru a gun shop to do a transfer? I've never bought or sold private party so I'm not sure what's the best way to cover my butt. Thanks guys
There's a paper you can print out u fill out the buyer fills out make two copies one for u the other for the buyer

rattlesnake01

Make a bill of sale that you both sign. Also get a copy of their driver's license. Take a picture of it with your phone and print it out later or whatever you want to do but make sure you have proof of who you sold it to. That's in case the gun turns up at a crime scene or whatever.
That's a good thought! Thank you

DaveTN

I don't think you will have many buyers if you require a picture of their drivers license, some folks won't buy if you require a bill of sale. Just make sure you make it clear what the requirements are before you meet.

I require a bill of sale and to see a TN ID, but I would never ask someone to take a picture of their DL or allow someone to take a picture of my DL. But then I don't even require their address on a bill of sale. Here is what I put on mine.

sqNfvQy.jpg

rattlesnake01

I don't think you will have many buyers if you require a picture of their drivers license, some folks won't buy if you require a bill of sale. Just make sure you make it clear what the requirements are before you meet.

I require a bill of sale and to see a TN ID, but I would never ask someone to take a picture of their DL or allow someone to take a picture of my DL. But then I don't even require their address on a bill of sale. Here is what I put on mine.

sqNfvQy.jpg
Thanks for that bill of sale form. I'm not gonna require a pic of the drivers license or anything else really. I will do that bill of sale tho. Thanks again!

Latest posts