Gunsmith needed. Short throat.

Robtattoo

I managed to get to the range today with my Ruger American .223 shooting 77gn TMKs. I'd pre-loaded a bunch for my old Savage, plus a few test rounds. All were loaded to the same length of 2.414" COAL. Longer than SAAMI spec, but well within the mag length (2.55")
However at 2.414" I'm jammed into the lands. Not touching, but "damn this bolt is hard to close" jammed (I need to measure) Accuracy was absolutely spectacular at well under an inch for 5 separate 5 round groups, but I was seeing some pretty disconcerting pressure signs (cratered & flowing primers)

I'm giving serious consideration to having the throat lengthened. I know I could load to chamber length, but I'm giving up a ton of case room that I'd much rather utilize.

Could anyone recommend a Smith to do the work, and if anyone has had this done, a rough idea of what it would cost?

Edit to add:
I just did a quick & dirty chamber measure (bullet jammed into the chamber & measured from the crown, then crown to bolt face)

I get a consistent measurement of 2.236" COAL with 77gn TMKs. That's terrible. My OAL is 2.416 so I'm into the lands by 0.178"! That's over a tenth of an inch (2.54mm in Catholic) I couldn't even load them to AR mag length at that measurement.

This throat gotta go

280longshot

I would call Ruger and send back, it may or may not be in spec.
I just got my 6 CM back with the same issue.
After reading about this issue seems several are experiencing the same.
Ruger installed a new barrel on mine.
Good luck.

DaveB

Yep, when I feel that resistance to the bolt closing I get a bit uncomfortable. You can have very bad results if the load happens to be over max. Yes, I know, lots of the ultra-accurate rifles are set up to be loaded that way. For a regular hunting rifle I don;t mind a tiny jump.