Cold weather fishing

J.W.308

Anyone fish in cold weather? Thinking about giving it a try and would like to get a few tips for cold weather Bass fishing.

KyRick

I have not been in a couple of week due to the Holidays, travel and illness. But I will be heading out one day this week, waiting on the water to clear up and the flow to slow down a bit. I live near Chickamauga, the bigger fish for the year will be caught between now and the spring spawn. It can be hit or miss but when it is good it is very good.

Crow Terminator

I have grown to like it way more than summer time fishing.

When I first started getting into fishing heavy, the general consensus was...fishing is SLOW during the cold and you have to downsize baits, barely move them, etc. What people have discovered is...some of the best fishing of the year is from fall right on through very early spring. No pleasure craft on the water. The last decade or so it seems more people have figured out how good the fishing can be in the winter. Use to, you would have the lake and ramps to yourself. Now more fishermen are out there. Hardest parts on TVA lakes is finding suitable ramps to launch from with the winter draw down and the constant fluctuations in water level and current. Some days are absolute smash fests and then you can go the next day and not have a bite.

TRIGGER

Winter fishing is the best. Always wear PFD and never go alone. Besides that fish some of the same baits you do in the summer but maybe slow down a touch. I love throwing an A-rig,jig,spinnerbait,swimbait carolina rig,steel shad and others. The fish are typically deep.

WTM

"cold weather" is kind of a relative term. water temp is the key, the time of year and the pattern for that time of year on a particular body of water. on KY lake in jan, feb and march some spots of the lake will warm to 50 deg by mid day/afternoon. key places to check are deeper creek mouth points on up into the back points around mid feb when they start a pre-spawn pattern. south facing with some type of rock and deeper water nearby will heat the water up and the bait will hold there. series 3, jerk baits and rolling spinner baits work well and sometimes jigs. a-rigs can work very well if you can throw them.

when temps get down to mid 40's and below is a whole different scenario. you just about have to put it in their face in deeper water. drop shot, jigs and blade baits fished real slow works well.

Chaneylake

J.W.308":aenqftcf said:
Anyone fish in cold weather? Thinking about giving it a try and would like to get a few tips for cold weather Bass fishing.

Not a bass fisherman but have caught a ton of crappie in January when Hatchie River is not in the ox bow lakes. Light color jig 3 to 4 feet deep on lakes at Chaney. The lakes at Chaney are not very deep. They probably don't average 8 feet deep on normal water

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Chaneylake":etod8zgn said:
J.W.308":etod8zgn said:

Not a bass fisherman but have caught a ton of crappie in January when Hatchie River is not in the ox bow lakes. Light color jig 3 to 4 feet deep on lakes at Chaney. The lakes at Chaney are not very deep. They probably don't average 8 feet deep on normal water

You need to post the ice fishing picture. :D

bluball

RUGER":2trsdg30 said:
Chaneylake":2trsdg30 said:
J.W.308":2trsdg30 said:

Burr[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
2aeb1dc8f6ee75b6fa1763e684f68ada.jpg

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Daniel90

bluball":pqoalav2 said:
RUGER":pqoalav2 said:
Chaneylake":pqoalav2 said:
J.W.308 said:

Burr[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
2aeb1dc8f6ee75b6fa1763e684f68ada.jpg

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
i like this guy. I absolutely love fishing in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts