Climbing stand ques

JLC

Son has a Summit Viper he's not going to use this year and asked if I wanted to try it. Question I have is what species of tree is best to use it on, white oak, maple other? Thanks

JLC

Thanks REN. Thought I'd give i try as I've always used a ladder stand or sat on the ground. Now just need to go to Indiana to get it.

REN

if you have not used one much you really need to practice a few times before you get out there. Get use to having the right angle on the stand to start with so it levels out when you get up to the height you want to be at. You definitely dont want it angling down and to much of an angle up makes sitting uncomfortable.

JLC

Yeah, need lots of practice but got plenty of time. I don't hunt until it gets colder, like late October or early November. When I go to get it I'll try it on his place. Won't take me too long to figure out if its for me or not. Thanks again.

rem270

I have a climber but would much rather be in a lock on or ladder stand. But i have a few places im going to try out before i put a permanent stand so ill use it some this year. I hate taking them in in the mornings and putting them up, lot of work.

JLC

Same here. Rather be in a ladder stand but dang they are heavy to tote around. Places I hunt if you leave them up they get stolen. I have one of the pack-n-stack stands which isn't too bad but with everything else it weighs you down. Son bought the Summit earlier this year, used it a few times to try it out and said he wasn't crazy about it. So I told him if I liked it I would buy it from hm. Hope it works out.

Brownie

Summit's are great...but yes, wear a harness...I usually try to find something like a poplar or even pine trees....although pine trees can get messy with sap

Latest posts