Cleaning the ML w/ scope

Rusty Nail

I've been using (and loving) the ML for only a few years. Part of my cleaning the gun (after shooting) has been taking apart the gun and dunking the barrel in the hottest water I can get. In the past I've taken the scope off before dunking the barrel. Seemed stange that I take the time and effort to sight in the gun (down to the smallest adjustment), only to take off the sight during the cleaning. Even with pre-set scope mounts, I've always thought I might be putting the scope back on the barrel in just a slightly different position. Even tho it looks like it mounts back on correctly, I may be off just a hair - which of course - changes the shooting accuracy. I mentioned that concern to a buddy and he said he doesn't take off the scope even when cleaning. He had the same concern about changing the accuracy and thought that the scope was water proof and should tolerate the exposure to water.

I tryed that. It's a good quality scope, and should tolerate getting rained on, but was nervous about sticking it under water for a soaking. Sure enough, the next day the scope fogged up on the inside. That foggy haze seemed to (finally) go away. I shot a doe with it later the next day, so I know it's shooting well. The next time I cleaned it, I was careful not to remove the scope, but kept that end of the barrel out of the water. Still managed to get plenty of water thru the barrel (with the brushes and patches). Seemed to work OK.

I was afraid I'd ruined the scope. What do you all do for cleaning? Same technique? I'm sort of self taught and advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Trapper John

Depends on the rifle.

With mine you can remove the breech plug entirely. I only stick the end of the barrel in a bowl of HOT water and suck some water up during the cleaning process by running a cleaning rod and patch up and down the bore from the breech end. That keeps everything else entirely dry.

jakeway

I used the bucket of hot water method with my percussion, which had no scope. I now use a CV Optima with a 2-7X32 scope on it, and there's no way I'd ever intentionally put that scope under water!

I use 777, and they say you don't even need hot soapy water; patches with drinking-temp water are fine, so that's what I use. Only takes about 3 wet parches and 5 dry ones to make 'em spotless clean & dry. Remove breech plug, soak in breech plug cleaner a minute or so, then rub it off, greese it up, and replace it.

Oh, I also keep lense covers on the scope to keep any stray waer and dirt from getting on the lense.

holstonangler

ditto on the 777, its not nessary to soak the barrel in hot water when cleaning. Just soak some patches in water and/or some barrel cleaner and follow up with a bit of oil along with a dry patch until patch comes out looking clean.

Latest posts