Cheatham early muzzleloader

jfclarktn

Sub-optimal weather to say the least, and a missed opportunity early, but I still had a good time and till put in again next year. Heading to Montana Tuesday to help my brother find a big one…hopefully.

Good luck the rest of the season!

deerfever

So I've hunted the placed for a quarter century.
The belief that it is over hunted is a fallacy.
The place is crawling with BIG deer.
The place is not being managed properly.
The commission rarely listens to the people. They are just another tone deaf group of folks in the government.
Anyways, I clearly have much better ideas on how to increase hunter participation. Remember this is the rationale they have told us for the quota hunts. They have been approached with them many times in the past, they don't listen.
I do believe your plan will work to get hunter participation up at Cheatam! Posting it's crawling with big deer on an internet forum should be just what the doctor ordered if they go non quota. I love to hunt big deer and Do a lot of traveling. Cheatam will now be on my list of places to try when they drop the quotas. Not being managed properly but crawling with big deer? I can't wait to try it out if you get this passed!

tnpete

I like the quota hunts, I think it will improve the quality of hunting here. What I'm not a fan of is the logging that was going on when I showed up Friday. Scouted this spot all year. came back to check on it last week and all was fine. It sucks that he started logging the week of the quota hunts beginning.
Back in the early 90's was hauling logs. Not sure what it was about the cut pine. But always seen the biggest bucks. Always around that cut timber. You would think with all that noise, they would run. No come right to it, like a kid wanting to know whats happening.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
No bro, they should remove the quotas and let the place be open with statewide. Always a funny guy out there!
Some of the WMAs might not have enough deer to support being open same as the season. That said I would favor expanding the quota hunts to a week long hunt. That might give a Hunter some relief from weather conditions such as we experienced the last several days.

So I've hunted the placed for a quarter century.
The belief that it is over hunted is a fallacy.
The place is crawling with BIG deer.
The place is not being managed properly.
The commission rarely listens to the people. They are just another tone deaf group of folks in the government.
Anyways, I clearly have much better ideas on how to increase hunter participation. Remember this is the rationale they have told us for the quota hunts. They have been approached with them many times in the past, they don't listen.
Its being mismanaged AND it has big deer crawling all over it?🧐

Levee Jumper

Cheatham wide open statewide would turn into a gar hole like Turkey hunting has become. Too close to Nashville to be wide open with all roads open.

FTP

Some of the WMAs might not have enough deer to support being open same as the season. That said I would favor expanding the quota hunts to a week long hunt. That might give a Hunter some relief from weather conditions such as we experienced the last several days.
So the Cheatham WMA is almost 22k acres, it is located smack dab in the middle of Unit L.
There is no shortage of deer in this place.
You have to know the history of the place and how it has been used and hunted. It was open for years and years right with the statewide. There were no problems. Many, many more deer were taken off the place during those years as opposed to since the EHD outbreak of 2007. The TWRA was very .... let me be kind to those who get their panties wadded... the TWRA SEVERELY underestimated the die off percent from the outbreak... every different time I had a conversation with one of the biologist or game wardens, their estimates went up and up. It was finally admitted by a biologist who is no longer with the agency that 80-85% of the deer died that summer. I know a couple of land owners who have property that border the WMA, they've told me multiple times they did not see a deer for 4-5 years. The agency did not manage this outbreak with any kind of efficacy. So if you hunted the place, as I did, between 2007-2011/12 you did not see many of any deer. The hunter left the place. So this quota gizmo is their attempt to bring hunters back. I clearly have better ideas to entice them to return. I have expressed them multiple times to the powers that be. It's like talking to a brick wall. They are a government agency.... need I say more? 🦌
The place is now full of big deer.....

FTP

Cheatham wide open statewide would turn into a gar hole like Turkey hunting has become. Too close to Nashville to be wide open with all roads open.
It was managed that way for years and it was ok.
This assumption that it would be overwhelming is a fallacy.

Levee Jumper

It was managed that way for years and it was ok.
This assumption that it would be overwhelming is a fallacy.
The combination of its proximity to Nashville and people blabbing about how good it is online would likely lead to overcrowded conditions IMO.

FTP

The combination of its proximity to Nashville and people blabbing about how good it is online would likely lead to overcrowded conditions IMO.
Yeah you're right, there are tens of thousand of hunters reading this thread right now. Shhhh
We got keep this a secret. 😜