Cheatham early muzzleloader

jfclarktn

Saw one deer all day. First light, a buck that I didn't think was legal. By the time I could get enough of a look to count 4 points on one side I didn't have a shot. I'm soaked to the bone

Swampthing

Saw one deer all day. First light, a buck that I didn't think was legal. By the time I could get enough of a look to count 4 points on one side I didn't have a shot. I'm soaked to the bone
You're a better man than me, I don't know if I woulda made it through the day without my little umbrella. Hope you drop a big boy tomorrow!

FTP

These little quota windows this dude has put in suck. The weather this weekend is exactly a perfect argument against them.
We could muzzleloader on Monday and have perfect weather. But hell no... gotta have a freakin quota.... what a fool!!!!!

catman529

These little quota windows this dude has put in suck. The weather this weekend is exactly a perfect argument against them.
We could muzzleloader on Monday and have perfect weather. But hell no... gotta have a freakin quota.... what a fool!!!!!
So they should look up the 12 month forecast before setting quota hunt dates?

Swampthing

I like the quota hunts, I think it will improve the quality of hunting here. What I'm not a fan of is the logging that was going on when I showed up Friday. Scouted this spot all year. came back to check on it last week and all was fine. It sucks that he started logging the week of the quota hunts beginning.

Attachments

• 2E61040A-66E1-43D0-B2C1-007F73DF1E93.jpeg
    2E61040A-66E1-43D0-B2C1-007F73DF1E93.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 98

FTP

you made a perfect argument to get rid of the quotas. There has been nothing wrong with the hunting up here since the herd recovered from
The 2007 Blue Tongue outbreak. Their rationale was to increase hunter participation. Straight out of their mouth. So let's severely limit the days, throw in some weather, like we've had the last three days, and there ya go. Let's hunt the place tomorrow thru Thursday. Perfect weather in the forecast. Oh wait, the place is closed....
Come on dude!!! Real stupid logic.

deerfever

No bro, they should remove the quotas and let the place be open with statewide. Always a funny guy out there!
I don't think he was trying to be a funny guy but rather point out that no one can control the weather. Most WMA's around me are quota only. There is one that's not and it is the worst place in the world to hunt. People on the place all the time, pressured deer that rarely move. I would take my argument before commission with my reasoning as to why Cheatam would be a much better WMA with quality deer if it was hunted every single day of the season as opposed to limited quota hunts on certain days. They may change it so you can hunt it every day , you never know.

Antler Daddy

I like the quotas.

Normally, the First ML is a good hunt. The weather was not optimal.

I'm going on the first gun one more time and then I'm retiring from the place.

I do wish they would do smaller clear cuts. The timber companies will do it if that is their only choice.

They should take a bulldozer and doze some simple strips through the middle of some of the old cut overs. Manage the place to optimize hunting opportunities! That is who pays for it.

FTP

I don't think he was trying to be a funny guy but rather point out that no one can control the weather. Most WMA's around me are quota only. There is one that's not and it is the worst place in the world to hunt. People on the place all the time, pressured deer that rarely move. I would take my argument before commission with my reasoning as to why Cheatam would be a much better WMA with quality deer if it was hunted every single day of the season as opposed to limited quota hunts on certain days. They may change it so you can hunt it every day , you never know.
So I've hunted the placed for a quarter century.
The belief that it is over hunted is a fallacy.
The place is crawling with BIG deer.
The place is not being managed properly.
The commission rarely listens to the people. They are just another tone deaf group of folks in the government.
Anyways, I clearly have much better ideas on how to increase hunter participation. Remember this is the rationale they have told us for the quota hunts. They have been approached with them many times in the past, they don't listen.