Food Plots Caught in rain.....

DoubleRidge

Last weekend we sprayed and sowed several smaller 1/4 to 1/2 acre plots in barasicas...turnip, radish and rape....the vegetation in these plots had been bush hogged in early July....so it's not that tall.....well the rain got us....the first plots we sprayed had some time before the surprise heavy shower hit and today...I can tell there are turning yellow....the later 3 or 4 plots show little sign of ever being sprayed.....the problem is we got good germination on all the plots so I can't spray glysophate again? ... currently the turnips and radish are around 1 to 1½ inch tall..... wondering if I should...or could bushhog or clip the tops of the grass that remains? Maybe knock it back enough so the barasicas might have a chance to get up...or would driving on plot do more harm than good?.....guess the question is clip the plots?....or let them go? Hate to start over....got good germination.

Ski

Ouch that sucks. I don't have any advice for you because I have no idea what the right step would be. I guess what I'd do is weigh the options. Which would be worse and more likely, the weeds choking out the plot, or the mower damaging the new sprouts?

DoubleRidge

Search clethodim on brassicas.
I have no experience doing this as I never plant just brassicas but clethodim and another similar product sethoxdim claim to be safe on brassicas.

Interesting...I hadn't considered a product like clethodim.....and we've never planted an all barasica blend either....but last year our blend contained radish and the deer hit them pretty good...have also read that barasicas planted alone will get bigger and produce more tonnage....and on these small plots we also hope the tilliage radish will contribute to the soil quality.

Latest posts