Carnitas first Attempt

TiminTN

I finally found a Mexican entree I like! Going to see if the recipe I found on line works out. Will know tomorrow. Going low and slow in the crock pot. Submerged in lard. Self inflicted heart attack...lol. 2 chopped onions, 2 chopped jalapeño peppers, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin. 6 oz minute maid 100% orange juice. I will tear it apart after it tries to melt off the bone and sear it in a black skillet, and make flour tacos.

Attachments

• 20230802_173202.jpg
    20230802_173202.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Tenntrapper

I finally found a Mexican entree I like! Going to see if the recipe I found on line works out. Will know tomorrow. Going low and slow in the crock pot. Submerged in lard. Self inficted heart attack...lol. 2 chopped onions, 2 chopped jalapeño peppers, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin. 6 oz minute maid 100% orange juice. I will tear it apart after it tries to melt off the bone and sear it in a black skillet, and make flour tacos.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the meat?

Chiflyguy

I finally found a Mexican entree I like! Going to see if the recipe I found on line works out. Will know tomorrow. Going low and slow in the crock pot. Submerged in lard. Self inficted heart attack...lol. 2 chopped onions, 2 chopped jalapeño peppers, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin. 6 oz minute maid 100% orange juice. I will tear it apart after it tries to melt off the bone and sear it in a black skillet, and make flour tacos.
Never seen them made that way.
Always fried in lard first then in a Dutch oven.
Let us see the finished goods.
In my 30 years of being a maintenance guy in Chicago food plants, a lot of my co workers were Mexicans.
On Saturdays, Carnitas with homemade tortillas were a tradition. Sittin in the break room with Mi Amigos eatin taycos.
Most Mexican Grocery stores sold them.
The more dangerous neighborhoods, the better the Carnitas.
The years I worked in the Brighton Park neighborhood, I gained about 10 lbs.
They never sent the Gringo.😉

TiminTN

She came out falling apart tender. No way it was staying together. I ate a pinch, was unreal tender but needs more spice. I will strain and save contents of the lard, and place it all in a big black skillet and sear it.

Attachments

• 20230803_100605.jpg
    20230803_100605.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 44

TAFKAP

I finally found a Mexican entree I like! Going to see if the recipe I found on line works out. Will know tomorrow. Going low and slow in the crock pot. Submerged in lard. Self inflicted heart attack...lol. 2 chopped onions, 2 chopped jalapeño peppers, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin. 6 oz minute maid 100% orange juice. I will tear it apart after it tries to melt off the bone and sear it in a black skillet, and make flour tacos.

They're awesome. I've always just browned a boneless pork shoulder, then left it in a 275° oven all day, in a covered cast iron pan. It's never required additional fat. But I love sizzling the done meat on a griddle to char it up a bit.

backyardtndeer

I don't think I've ever had carnitas. Based on how you are cooking them, is it like duck confit...but with pork?
First time I had carnitas was from some I bought from Sam's club. It's a seasonal item there that they sell under their members mark brand. We liked it enough that when they didn't have it anymore, I bought carne asada seasoning to make my own carnitas. While it's not exactly the same, it's very close. I don't use any lard when I make it, still falls apart with a fork.

Last edited:

Latest posts