Made our First Philly Cheese sammich

DaveB

Didn't want to barge in on RUGER's dinner but ours was pretty close.

Got some shaved beef by accident so decided to try and do a Philly. Onions, peppers (4 colors), more onions, provolone. Cooked them together on a griddle. Threw it on a steak bun.

veggies sliced and chopped too coarse first batch. They need to be small. Kinda like cole slaw but say double that size. And no Cabbage.,

Son made a sauce, some recipe he found on web. Whatever you do, do not leave out the apple vinegar.

Zip left. Caught son wiping bowl of sauce with finger.

Thinking beef needs more body...can we see some recipes of your own? In particular, what cut of beef, a sauce, and cheese types since provo was not what I would call a good choice.

WTM

Use Cheese Whiz and omit the peppers for a true Philly Cheesesteak.
lol, seeing how the philly cheese steak was invented in the '30's and cheese wiz wasnt invented until the 50's, not seeing the authenticity argument. also if youre not using a hot dog bun then one could say its not authentic as well.

Shag

lol, seeing how the philly cheese steak was invented in the '30's and cheese wiz wasnt invented until the 50's, not seeing the authenticity argument. also if youre not using a hot dog bun then one could say its not authentic as well.
It wasn't really an argument. I caught a show on TV about the Philly cheesesteak a few years ago. People saying who was best, Pat's or Geno's, differences between them and what not. Made me really want to try my best to duplicate what they do…cause I ain't going to Philly for the real thing! I used to make them with peppers and provolone or Swiss. After doing a little research, I tried Cheese Whiz and no peppers. I liked it 10X better! So do as you please. But for me, I'll keep making them "Whiz Wit."

DaveB

The provo did not work in the taste arena. Son tried some kind of ___jack and said it was better. I am gonna do more research. Plus I need the correct spatula thing.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The provo did not work in the taste arena. Son tried some kind of ___jack and said it was better. I am gonna do more research. Plus I need the correct spatula thing.
I love provolone but I didn't care for it on steak sandwiches either. I switched to swiss. Much better.

TAFKAP

Try smoked gouda? It melts easily, and it doesn't have the same twang as provolone

jb3

Don't mind onioins, but bell peppers don't add taste. To me they are texture and a filler only. I go for more meat instead of peppers.

DaveB

Yeah, I agree but the problem is, as in another thread about cholesterol I been on low-quantity red meat for quite awhile.

DaveB

did not take any pictures. Had trouble enough with ingredients, temp, roll. I wanted a Philly like the place in Atlanta's Concourse A. I got a Macdonalds one.

Just last night I breaded shrimp, first time in at least 50 years. Tasted okay but looked more like burnt vanilla wafers. Wife gave me a mean look before she tasted them.

Latest posts