Cams on public land

Treestand Troubadour

Any suggestions or tips on puttin out cameras on public land? I've had several stole from private land but didn't know if public land was a pure suicide mission. There is a monster at one of the places I hunt and just wanna make sure he is still alive. I doubt he has been killed cause word would get out when a mountain buck this big gets bagged

7mminatree

Re: Cams on public land

You can put them in areas that don't have a lot of pressure, provided you hide them good. I assume you are in the CNF if hunting in Carter Co. I never had mine stolen were I hunt, but there are very few people that go back in that part of the CNF. My biggest problem is bears. They will definitely molest your cameras.

TN Whitetail Freak

Just run them over mineral sites during the off season I pull em before any public land guys get in there hunting....had one stole in February by rabbit hunters...Learned my lesson....yea they could get stole by guys out setting up cams and mineral locks also but it's less likely....also I would not set mineral sites near bedding....I set them off field edges and staging areas

catman529

Don't put in an area of huge rubs where you saw adjacent landowner creep by in a golf cart. It might be gone when you come back....other than that, I haven't had any trouble with cams on public land. Put em in thick off path areas. But don't put any expensive ones you don't want stolen

Sent from the talk of tap

elknturkey

I was running cams before they became popular. Never have had one stolen or messed with. In all these years I've only got 1 pic of another person and I actually knew him and he didn't see the camera. Around here with the huge tracts of land where you can stretch your legs I'm not worried. We sat out some cams a few weeks ago and it was a 9 mile round. On small tracts I would maybe be a little uneasy. I do hang them around 10ft to try to keep them out of bears reach.

elknturkey

I wish I knew. I've heard it's the batteries they are after but that doesn't make since to me. Though I have heard of them ripping the seats off 4 wheelers to get to them. Been several times where we would hang several and within a few hours bears would find them. I figure they smell what we ate earlier

ImThere

catman529":2thu5vb5 said:
Don't put in an area of huge rubs where you saw adjacent landowner creep by in a golf cart. It might be gone when you come back....other than that, I haven't had any trouble with cams on public land. Put em in thick off path areas. But don't put any expensive ones you don't want stolen

Bwahahaha dude is a jackwagon!
We both know he took it!

the one and only "ImThere"

7mminatree

Treestand Troubadour":1te4qp8r said:
Why do bears.mess.with em I just talked to a guy a minute ago that had his tore up by one
That's a million dollar question. I've heard it's the IR flash, I've heard it's your scent, I've heard it's curiosity because of its unatural shape. I've heard electronic cameras emit a high frequency that they can hear. Truth is it's probably a combination of everything. I do know they will find one in daytime just as easily as night. If the camera is chest high, they WILL use it for a back scratcher. If it comes loose, then it becomes a chew toy. I have witnessed this a couple of times. I have it on video it's pretty funny, except the camera destruction.

csi-tech

I set up cameras on my father-in-laws house. He has been ill and had to move away to West Tennessee leaving us to monitor and tend to his 400 acres (poor me :)) and I strapped one to a tree then put a ladder, chairs and an old rug around it. The other one watching his driveway is on the porch hidden in a green vine and weeds. Concealment is key. I think the key is using black flash and concealing the camera well. You would be amazed at how oblivious people are as they walk around. Put something nearby that draws the eye away from the camera.

catman529

ImThere":na84hd2u said:
catman529":na84hd2u said:

Bwahahaha dude is a jackwagon!
We both know he took it!

the one and only "ImThere"
for sure.

UpperTully

Steel security box with a steel cable and good padlock works well at keeping your camera from walking off.

Latest posts