Calling question

JeepKuntry

Saw 3 or 4 hens a tom opening day mid day. So I thought get in the early this morning and kill him. Problem was only 2 hens showed up. They didn't even go towards the decoys. I'm still a newbie to turkeys and this is the 3rd or 4th time where I've called in only hens. Any logical reason behind that or is that typical?

Boll Weevil

Might try ditching the decoys one morning. For the same reason hens with a gobbler will often lead him away from your calling…other hens are sometimes viewed as a threat.

Last edited:

NumberOne

Don't ditch the decoys. Nearly everyone on this site will tell you the same besides Boll Weevil.

Andy S.

It's been a week since you seen him. He could have shifted, been killed, or any number of things. Did you hear any gobbling on the limb at daylight today? Anywhere around you?

Last edited:

JeepKuntry

It's been a week since you seen him. He could have shifted, been killed, or any number of things. Did you hear any gobbling on the limb at daylight today? Anywhere around you?
It's private so I doubt he's been killed. 82 acres but he could be on adjacent property. They don't allow hunting . I heard nothing this morning.

Andy S.

It's private so I doubt he's been killed. 82 acres but he could be on adjacent property. They don't allow hunting . I heard nothing this morning.
How long did you stay in the woods today? Here in SW TN, they have gobbled on the limb intermittently at daylight (day to day) last few days, but that does not mean they are not there. Some of the spots were silent at daylight (no limb gobbling), but the gobblers sounded off mid-morning, likely once the hens left them and they became lonely. Food for thought.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Saw 3 or 4 hens a tom opening day mid day. So I thought get in the early this morning and kill him. Problem was only 2 hens showed up. They didn't even go towards the decoys. I'm still a newbie to turkeys and this is the 3rd or 4th time where I've called in only hens. Any logical reason behind that or is that typical?
Have you heard a gobbler coming off roost there?

woodsman04

He very well could have been killed. 82 acres is small to a turkey.

He could have moved.

You could have spooked him.

Hens usually shy away from other hens in breeding. I don't have experience with decoys. Can't help there.
I never have luck of "calling to the hens" as the "pros" say to get the gobbler. They usually go the other way.

Latest posts