Buying hunting land

grumpycowboy

Moving to Tennessee as soon as my eastern Oregon " the conservative side ' ranch sells. I'm wanting to buy enough acreage to run a small horse business and hunt on. 10 acres is enough for the horses but I'm thinking I might need at least 20 + for hunting. How does hunting on small acreage work in Tennessee and is it possible to have success on smaller plots. I predominantly bow hunt , just used to mainly chasing elk on vast tracks of wilderness.

fairchaser

Success on small properties depends greatly on the surrounding land since it's unlikely that many if any deer will live on 20 acres. You would be hunting deer that are passing through from bedding to feeding.
There are also many opportunities to hunt large tracts of public land across the state and you might research that before buying land.
If you are used to vast amounts of land, public land could be your best bet.

Hduke86

Depends on location and the surrounding property. I hunt 25 acres all the time but it's surrounded by a few hundred private that no one hunts and I bow hunt only myself on it but let my youngest gun hunt it and we consistently kill deer on it. Nothing huge cause we're out there for the enjoyment of hunting together and venison in the freezer. There's always the chance of a old mountain buck strolling by in November.

Chickenrig

Moving to Tennessee as soon as my eastern Oregon " the conservative side ' ranch sells. I'm wanting to buy enough acreage to run a small horse business and hunt on. 10 acres is enough for the horses but I'm thinking I might need at least 20 + for hunting. How does hunting on small acreage work in Tennessee and is it possible to have success on smaller plots. I predominantly bow hunt , just used to mainly chasing elk on vast tracks of wilderness.
Welcome to Tndeer
You can't take them liberals any longer ?
Get out while you can . Take their money and run to Gods country .like others have stated 20 will work if …….. take your time and do your homework before buying . God speed my friend

grumpycowboy

I put my boy on his first deer, a 141 " 11 pt on 22 acres in WillCo and a buddy on a big drop tine on the same property. Kinda rare but the deer around here can get old and pressure isn't bad. You need big tracks to hold em. Where you looking?
Kinda focused between Lynchburg and crossville right now.
Success on small properties depends greatly on the surrounding land since it's unlikely that many if any deer will live on 20 acres. You would be hunting deer that are passing through from bedding to feeding.
There are also many opportunities to hunt large tracts of public land across the state and you might research that before buying land.
If you are used to vast amounts of land, public land could be your best bet.
how are success rates and crowding on your public lands ?
Welcome to Tndeer
You can't take them liberals any longer ?
Get out while you can . Take their money and run to Gods country .like others have stated 20 will work if …….. take your time and do your homework before buying . God speed my friend
exactly why I'm leaving. The liberals have ruined this place. I am moving for exactly the way you guys are. Hopefully will inject some money into the local economy and not be unwelcome. Seems like the American dream still exists for my kids there.

Chickenrig

Kinda focused between Lynchburg and crossville right now.

how are success rates and crowding on your public lands ?

exactly why I'm leaving. The liberals have ruined this place. I am moving for exactly the way you guys are. Hopefully will inject some money into the local economy and not be unwelcome. Seems like the American dream still exists for my kids there.
Yes sir
As soon as i saw your post i knew the reason why . I moved out of S Fla a few years ago and settled in SE Alabama . I sold a small house on 1.25 acres for 400k and bought 2 houses ,barns,tractor shed and 80 acres for 300k . I hunt deer,turkey,coyote,hogs when the come thru , and catch fish in my ponds . There is a better way to live than that liberal way of life .
Our God is good

Ski

We moved here 7yrs ago. I grew up in the Appalachians so I speak the language, but my wife was a little hesitant. That hesitation soon faded as everybody has been welcoming and warm. It's a slow, simple life. Faith and family values are strong here. There are worse places to call home.

I've not spent much time in the Crossville area so I can't speak to it. But Lynchburg is a great little place. In nearby Tullahoma there is Taylor's Archery, a critical necessity for a bow hunter. Some pretty OK bbq in the area too, so if you ever want to talk a little deer over some ribs & pork nachos, hit me up. I'm just half hour away in Manchester.

grumpycowboy

We moved here 7yrs ago. I grew up in the Appalachians so I speak the language, but my wife was a little hesitant. That hesitation soon faded as everybody has been welcoming and warm. It's a slow, simple life. Faith and family values are strong here. There are worse places to call home.

I've not spent much time in the Crossville area so I can't speak to it. But Lynchburg is a great little place. In nearby Tullahoma there is Taylor's Archery, a critical necessity for a bow hunter. Some pretty OK bbq in the area too, so if you ever want to talk a little deer over some ribs & pork nachos, hit me up. I'm just half hour away in Manchester.
I've actually owned a small archery shop of my own for about 4 years. Might fire it up there if there is demand.

killingtime 41

Land is outrageous in price. Gone insane the last 5 years. Tons of people are moving here. From up north a bunch. Crossville has blown up big time. Developments and houses by the thousands. But so has all the small towns. And traffic is terrible due to the influx of halfbacks and migrations from all over in the last couple years. Roads can't handle it cause it happened way to fast. Farms are going goodbye to developers like crazy. I thought we Tennesseans would make it without being displaced from all the people. Because these new people are paying what a resident Tennessean could never afford for land and homes. It's pricing us and our children out of the market. Remember the average wage in small towns in Tn isn't much. I think the dirt will settle hopefully. And those people will realize they got something worth half what they paid for it.

BSK

I think the dirt will settle hopefully. And those people will realize they got something worth half what they paid for it.
I'm not so sure. As long as people with the money to do so keep running away from poorly run and over-taxed urban areas, land values will stay high. Corrections from time to time, sure, but they aren't making more land and it is in high demand. The value of land will continue to increase unless there is some sort of massive economic collapse.

TRIGGER

I'm not so sure. As long as people with the money to do so keep running away from poorly run and over-taxed urban areas, land values will stay high. Corrections from time to time, sure, but they aren't making more land and it is in high demand. The value of land will continue to increase unless there is some sort of massive economic collapse.
I agree….unfortunately