Bullet profiles...

Tenntrapper

I'm considering loading the Hornady 160g RN in my 6.5-284 Norma. I used this bullet in a few different Swedes with good success. I've also used the same profile in 243 Win and 25 WSSM. All gave good performance. I've even tried it in the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor. I limit my shots (at deer) to 250 yards or less...most are less than 100. Is there any reason to not try it in the 6.5-284?
I know the advantages of better profile bullets, and I've got 130 nabs as well as the 143g Norma bondstrike loads worked up, but at my self imposed limits... does it really matter? Will the speed the x284 is capable of destroy the 160g at close range? Any real world experience out there? Just looking at book numbers... between 2800 to around 2900 fps is possible... depending on powder choice. Actually, using the powder I want to use...and have on hand, more like 2700-2800 fps would be more realistic.
Before anyone says it...I know it would be like putting mud tires on a Porsche, but at posted speed limits...does it really matter?
So let's hear it... anyone with real world experience?

Edit to add...my fps numbers might be a tad high...limited data available.

Last edited:

fairchaser

Plug the bc's into some ballistics solvers and see what you got. If the numbers work for you then go for it. Move out to 250 yds with those and some 130 nabs and see what the gun likes. Test,test,test!

Tenntrapper

I dang sure wouldn't want to be shot with one of those.
Lol, me either.
This is to the lands... 😂
IMG_20230204_142235__01.jpg

ADR

I do not have any experience with that bullet whatsoever but my primary concern would be stabling a bullet with that much bearing surface. I assume you have an 8 twist on your rifle?
I would think you may have to give a little speed to get the rpm's up for stabilization.
Again, this is all speculation.
I would think it would be a killer bullet though.

Tenntrapper

I do not have any experience with that bullet whatsoever but my primary concern would be stabling a bullet with that much bearing surface. I assume you have an 8 twist on your rifle?
I would think you may have to give a little speed to get the rpm's up for stabilization.
Again, this is all speculation.
I would think it would be a killer bullet though.
Correct, 8 twist. Stabilization shouldn't be a problem...they stabilized in an old military swede...at 22-2300 fps. My numbers were off though...with the powder I have, I should only get about 2500+ fps. Some other powders could go couple hundred higher.
The bullet is actually pretty short...shorter than a 130 NAB. As to bearing surface...below the cannalure is .264. above it is .262.
IMG_20230205_133459__01.jpg

Latest posts