243 bullet recommendation...

Tenntrapper

You will more than likely find the hammers are the easiest load development you have ever done. I have shot them in quite a few calibers and can usually be below half moa in under 15 total shots for load development. If you don't already have one I recommend getting a lee fcd. They don't always need a crimp but it can definitely help with accuracy with them.
I do have a crimp die...never used it. Any idea why a crimp would help with accuracy?

IMR3031

I'm working with (developing a load for) the 100g Norma oryx and the 70g hammer hunter.
Please let us know your results.

Of the bullets I was able to find and test in my Ruger Amercian .243, the Speer BTSP was the clear winner in the accuracy department- tested against the Sierra 100 Game King and the Speer 100 Grand Slam- which at the height of the pandemic were all I could get my hands on.

After shooting one whitetail with that Speer at about 50 yards, I've retired that as a whitetail bullet- it's too soft, I believe, for shoulder or just-behind-the-shoulder shots.

I still want to try the 6mm 100 gr Partition and the Sierra 85 HP-- the latter of which I would not have figured to be a deer bullet, but a hunter I know who has hunted exclusively with the .243 for decades has repeatedly told me of the results he's gotten with it on whitetails over the years.

Tenntrapper

Please let us know your results.

Of the bullets I was able to find and test in my Ruger Amercian .243, the Speer BTSP was the clear winner in the accuracy department- tested against the Sierra 100 Game King and the Speer 100 Grand Slam- which at the height of the pandemic were all I could get my hands on.

After shooting one whitetail with that Speer at about 50 yards, I've retired that as a whitetail bullet- it's too soft, I believe, for shoulder or just-behind-the-shoulder shots.

I still want to try the 6mm 100 gr Partition and the Sierra 85 HP-- the latter of which I would not have figured to be a deer bullet, but a hunter I know who has hunted exclusively with the .243 for decades has repeatedly told me of the results he's gotten with it on whitetails over the years.
I've used the oryx in 6.5, and it performed well. I'll let you know how these do.
If you are looking for 100g partitions, precision reloading has them in stock.

vonb

I too have the same opinion on the Speer 100 gr BTSP. My sample of one showed they were too soft. However, the Sierra 85 gr BTHP has been a hammer on deer out to 410 yards for me. This bullet has proven itself time and again to be effective. I have not tried the Hornady 100 gr BTSP but have heard from several they do well. I also have some 90 gr Accubonds I want to try but haven't gotten around to it.

Latest posts