Lead free 243

Tenntrapper

With no other need to do so, other than it's different, I'm going to start working on a lead free 243 load.
99.9 percent of my hunting is less than 200 yards, with most of that being less than 100.
I've never been "into" the high BC long range bullets because I don't hunt that way...I don't need them. I much prefer a round nose bullet for my style of hunting.
Seems like most manufacturers have discontinued the RN bullets for about everything... including the 243.
The other day a was looking around and ran across some Lapua Naturalis bullets that were 50 percent off. This is one ugly bullet..but it has a round(ish) nose, so I decided to give them a try. Hopefully I'll have a usable load worked up before season gets here and I can see how they do on game.
I'm waiting for some data from another member for the powder I'm going to use. Very little load data out there for this bullet.
If anyone has used this bullet, any suggestions would be appreciated.
I will keep you updated as to how they do.
IMG_20231022_064545.jpg

Remi

My lead free 243 loads are with the Barnes 80 ttsx and the Hornady 80 gmx. With monos light and fast seems to be the best way as heavy and slower does give as dramatic results.

Win brass
Cci 200
45grs H4350
80 ttsx
3300fps

Win Brass
Cci 200
45grs H4831
80 Gmx
3080fps

Good luck with the Lapua

mike243

I like the looks of that bullet, never shot no round nose in my 243 but if the speed is up there, I see it being a hammer. The only runners I have had with 243 were premium bullets that held together and didn't mushroom like I would have preferred , I'm pretty sure years ago round nosed bullets were a go to in a lot of calibers before pointy bullets took over the market.

Remi

With no other need to do so, other than it's different, I'm going to start working on a lead free 243 load.
99.9 percent of my hunting is less than 200 yards, with most of that being less than 100.
I've never been "into" the high BC long range bullets because I don't hunt that way...I don't need them. I much prefer a round nose bullet for my style of hunting.
Seems like most manufacturers have discontinued the RN bullets for about everything... including the 243.
The other day a was looking around and ran across some Lapua Naturalis bullets that were 50 percent off. This is one ugly bullet..but it has a round(ish) nose, so I decided to give them a try. Hopefully I'll have a usable load worked up before season gets here and I can see how they do on game.
I'm waiting for some data from another member for the powder I'm going to use. Very little load data out there for this bullet.
If anyone has used this bullet, any suggestions would be appreciated.
I will keep you updated as to how they do.
View attachment 199831

Also, if you're a rib shooter don't expect bang flops. Harder bullets like harder targets. With monos shoulders are your friends. Breaking one is good, breaking two is more gooder.

Tenntrapper

Also, if you're a rib shooter don't expect bang flops. Harder bullets like harder targets. With monos shoulders are your friends. Breaking one is good, breaking two is more gooder.
Lapua claims these aren't designed to open into petals like the Barnes...it's more of a mushroom. I don't know how that will affect on game performance, but I'll give it a try. I've killed several with the Barnes bullet in a 223, never had one go more than 20-30 yards...if anywhere. I'm hoping the larger meplat will provide a greater amount of shock.

Remi

Lapua claims these aren't designed to open into petals like the Barnes...it's more of a mushroom. I don't know how that will affect on game performance, but I'll give it a try. I've killed several with the Barnes bullet in a 223, never had one go more than 20-30 yards...if anywhere. I'm hoping the larger meplat will provide a greater amount of shock.

What powders are you thinking?

The 140gr .264 does well in this guys test.

Tenntrapper

What powders are you thinking?

The 140gr .264 does well in this guys test.

The only data I've found is from Vihtavouri, using their n150, n160, n540, and n550 powders. I've got a bunch of n165 that I would like to use. It's a very cool burning powder, and I like using it with known barrel burners like the 243. It's considerably slower than the others...closer to RL23. Ive had good success with it with 100g bullets, and would like to use with these 90s if possible. Another member is running it through his quick loads (think that's what it's called) for me. Fingers crossed that it works.

Remi

The only data I've found is from Vihtavouri, using their n150, n160, n540, and n550 powders. I've got a bunch of n165 that I would like to use. It's a very cool burning powder, and I like using it with known barrel burners like the 243. It's considerably slower than the others...closer to RL23. Ive had good success with it with 100g bullets, and would like to use with these 90s if possible. Another member is running it through his quick loads (think that's what it's called) for me. Fingers crossed that it works.

I shoot a lot of h1000, 7828 and h4831 through my 243's. I've never used the Vihtavouri stuff only because I've never seen any for sale around here.

Tenntrapper

I shoot a lot of h1000, 7828 and h4831 through my 243's. I've never used the Vihtavouri stuff only because I've never seen any for sale around here.
I've got some h4831sc and RL19 that I think I could work something up with...if I have to. Just really wanting to use the n165.
I always have to order the VV powders online..no one around here sells them either.

Hduke86

The VV powders?
They had a good selection of Vihtavuori on the shelf. I didn't take notice in what all flavors cause I've never messed with the stuff but if I'm in the area tomorrow I'll take a picture of what they have. Also noticed a HUGE difference in what ammo the had available compared to just a month ago. The shelf was very noticeable depleted of ammo

Tenntrapper

They had a good selection of Vihtavuori on the shelf. I didn't take notice in what all flavors cause I've never messed with the stuff but if I'm in the area tomorrow I'll take a picture of what they have. Also noticed a HUGE difference in what ammo the had available compared to just a month ago. The shelf was very noticeable depleted of ammo
Thanks, I appreciate it.

DaveB

IMR7828 with 100 or 105 gr Partitions

Nosler data #3 shows 47.5 gr and 3250 FPS as max load.

This load killed a bunch of California mule deer. In my Rem 700 ADL in 243 the accuracy was very very good.

Tenntrapper

Ok, something isn't right. Got the data back from the member with all the testing stuff.
Based on the info I provided, it said there would be a node at 45g of n165...at the book coal. Also said it would be a compressed load (102 percent case fill). But said it would only be a 50k psi. Said I didn't have the case capacity to get to next node. I started at 44g and loaded in .3 gr increments up to 45.2. None of these are compressed...I can hear the powder when shaking. Also, I can go another.080" in coal to the lands. Just for shiggles...I filled a case to the bottom of the neck (about where the heel would be if loaded at longer coal), then weighed that powder. I can get 48g in the case.
I checked everything with 2 scales... everything seems correct. But the first load not being compressed has me baffled.
I haven't tested any of the loads yet...stupid cows took up camp right behind my target...maybe today.

Remi

Ok, something isn't right. Got the data back from the member with all the testing stuff.
Based on the info I provided, it said there would be a node at 45g of n165...at the book coal. Also said it would be a compressed load (102 percent case fill). But said it would only be a 50k psi. Said I didn't have the case capacity to get to next node. I started at 44g and loaded in .3 gr increments up to 45.2. None of these are compressed...I can hear the powder when shaking. Also, I can go another.080" in coal to the lands. Just for shiggles...I filled a case to the bottom of the neck (about where the heel would be if loaded at longer coal), then weighed that powder. I can get 48g in the case.
I checked everything with 2 scales... everything seems correct. But the first load not being compressed has me baffled.
I haven't tested any of the loads yet...stupid cows took up camp right behind my target...maybe today.

Could be a variance in brass type. Winchester brass gives me several more grain capacity than say Federal brass. Also maybe length, so if you are loading to a longer length than tested with lighter brass that could impact case fill percentage.

Latest posts