Buffalo Ridge Refuge - UPDATE from the hunt

BSK

Wait a minute. Something I heard briefly had been rattling around in my mind until I went back and listened to the video again. They said they have harvested "well over 100 deer in a single season." On 1,800 acres? That's crazy! I know the deer herd dynamics of the region and in my opinion, that's WAY too many deer to be killed off that small of an area in a single year. I would need more detailed data to be sure, but if I were one of their neighbors, I would be pissed! I do not believe that harvest density is anywhere near sustainable.

BSK

OK, just looked at who their neighbors are. That explains it. Almost 3,000 acres of much more intensive habitat management and lower deer harvest. But I would still be pissed if I was a neighbor (and one I know quite well - a past client). I'll have to ask them what they think of the Refuge's harvest practices.

vj333

They did have an area where camping was allowed if I recall correctly. But we stayed at a nearby hotel, think maybe it was a Best
They did have an area where camping was allowed if I recall correctly. But we stayed at a nearby hotel, think maybe it was a Best Western.
Come last year brought the tent. Slept outside, just fine.

Brandon87

Has anyone ever been here? My son was selected by TWRA along with 30 other kids to do a youth hunt Oct 29th. I googled it but didn't really find a lot of info about the place. I found that they have youth and Women in Outdoor hunts there along with other activates on the 2000 acres.
Never been up there but we put in for it for our boys, never got anything back did they send u an email?

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Never been up there but we put in for it for our boys, never got anything back did they send u an email?
Got a email that said we had been moved from the waiting list to the participant list last week. You can log into the kids account and look under events. Looks like there was 31 put in and all 31 were accepted.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
What an amazing hunt that TWRA put on. From all the TWRA staff and volunteers, made this hunt incredible. We had 27 kids and when we left last night, there was 22 deer killed. My son busted a 2.5 y/o 117 5/8" 9 pt that weighed 181.1 lbs about 45 mins after daylight. It was the 2nd largest buck. Another kid killed his first buck, it was a 4.5 y/o 155" 10pt that weighed in at 237 lbs.

IMG_0303.JPEG

IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_5476.JPG