Buffalo Ridge Refuge

Flintlocksforme

I got drawn to hunt on the muzzle loader hunt. 7 hunters. I live close by but never set foot on the place. I guess it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity as the odds probably aren't that great. I had 6-7 points from putting in for PI. Any chance someone else on here has experience with this place.

Flintlocksforme

The quota hunts are on a different piece of land than where the special women in outdoors, youth, and wounded warrior hunts take place. The quota hunts will occur on adjacent lands that were recently acquired by Twra.
Ok that is interesting. That must explain the unit 2 part of the permit. There is not really much online other than the special hunts for specific groups highlights. A map and special regulations is supposed to be coming. Scouting date is the weekend before.

Dennis

My son killed a buck during the youth hunt there. It is a good place to hunt.

If I were you, I would want to get a map of the area you will be hunting. And I would want to know if there are any areas with food plots or farm plots on it or around it. From aerial photos, you should be able to find large oaks as well.

You will want to locate likely bedding areas too. Once you know likely food and likely bedding, you should be able to find good ambush spots in between the two. Think funnels.

Anyway, this is how I approach any new area.

scn

I'd appreciate an after action report on your hunt on down the way. That might be a local choice to cash in 15 preference points I've been accumulating for PI. However, for the past 3 years, we have rented a house in LA for a week of chasing bull reds the same time as the PI hunt. And, I would rather do the redfish if we continue doing that.

Thanks, Steve

BSK

I'd appreciate an after action report on your hunt on down the way. That might be a local choice to cash in 15 preference points I've been accumulating for PI. However, for the past 3 years, we have rented a house in LA for a week of chasing bull reds the same time as the PI hunt. And, I would rather do the redfish if we continue doing that.

Thanks, Steve
Fish rather than deer hunt? You're losing it old man!

scn

Fish rather than deer hunt? You're losing it old man!
The last couple of trips my best friend and I have averaged over 75 bull reds in the 18-40# class over 4 days of hard fishing per trip. It is hard to step away from that. Add in the fact that his brother is a gourmet level cook, and it becomes an easy choice for me.

BSK

The last couple of trips my best friend and I have averaged over 75 bull reds in the 18-40# class over 4 days of hard fishing per trip. It is hard to step away from that. Add in the fact that his brother is a gourmet level cook, and it becomes an easy choice for me.
Sounds like a heck of a trip!

Latest posts