Buck Activity

Btsmith2416

Wondering how the buck activity and ranges shift for you all around this time of year and leading up to bow season. Through early to late July I had pics of a couple nice bucks in the edge of a woodlot leading to a field. I did some scouting and decided to move up the hill from the field and set my stand up where several trails converge into an open patch of woods with 5 or 6 oaks holding good amount of acorns. I expected to atleast see a buck once in the month time that I let my camera sit from August 1 til today. I pulled my card and had doe and fawn pics every day but no bucks literally 100 yards from the previous spot. Judging from scouting once colder weather sets in these trails should be used a lot so I'm not too worried about late October through November, but still expected to see some exciting pics. What have you all experienced as far as getting consistent buck activity. Still a couple weeks away from bucks shifting to different home ranges? When do most bucks shed their velvet? This seems to coincide with bucks shifting patterns from what I've studied. Also this is a brand new property to me so i have no data from previous years to judge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colt13

Re: Buck Activity

I am lucky enough to live where I hunt. I try to not over check my cameras,but my four year old loves going and checking the cameras. Sometimes I know I shouldn't, but when he wants to then I know that there isn't a deer out there that's worth seeing his face light up when I put the memory card in the computer. With that being said I had a very large amount of pictures since last checked on Friday. All does, but it's typical this time of year. Bucks usually start showing up last of September, and when they come it is not unusual to see several different bucks during a hunt. I am not getting worried YET. I have identified an old doe that is now on my hit list lol. Have several videos of her running other deer away, and you can tell she is the boss lady. I may get criticized but I think sometimes an old mature doe is just as hard to kill as an old buck.

GRIT

I use to run cameras all the time if your not careful they will mess you up having you changing spots just because you seen one good buck were a certain camera was.Some ways they can help you some ways they can mess you up.

Colt13

GRIT":3kj9gjnv said:
I use to run cameras all the time if your not careful they will mess you up having you changing spots just because you seen one good buck were a certain camera was.Some ways they can help you some ways they can mess you up.

Very True. I think the best inventory you get of your deer are after season is over and food is scarce. They can be very helpful this time of year, but too many changes are about to occur to base everything on pictures at this point.

Mike Belt

You just never know. I had a camera up last year and was getting daily daytime pics of at least 8 different bucks for the month leading up to archery opener. I hunted there opening morning and a few more times through rifle and still haven't seen the first buck there. The only place I set up a camera knowing I'm getting pics of bucks is over fresh scrapes once they start showing up.

Winchester

I dont use cameras to locate potential stand sites, I use them for inventory purposes and monitor daylight activity times. As for velvet shedding the vast majority will all take place in September across TN.

Latest posts