BSK

yamaha200

Here is a video from this week from my trail cam. This is the best looking buck we have ever seen up in the area we have been discusing. What is your take on him, as far as age. Not sure if you can tell much from this video. ThanksHere is another, of same deer, but very brief.

yamaha200

The cameras are places at different spots through out the property, like funnels, and close to thickets with good deer travel, and over trophy rocks !

BSK

Yup, that's a yearling. Very strange that you never get anything better than a yearling. Either cameras are in the wrong places, or your area experiences extraordinarily high buck mortality.

BlountArrow

BSK said:
Yup, that's a yearling. Very strange that you never get anything better than a yearling. Either cameras are in the wrong places, or your area experiences extraordinarily high buck mortality.

Not that this is completely to blame, but unfortunately they don't let many walk in Blount County.

deerhunter10

Your crazy we used to run cameras like everyone else. We would check them about once a month maybe twice a Month. Try to be as careful as possible with pressure and scent. We used no flash camera's. And the three years we ran them we saw less deer in general and did not kill as many good bucks in those years. After we stop using them we have been seeing more deer and we are back to our normal number's in the amount if good deer we see. You said it before in a post I've read not to long ago bsk. Deer are sensitive to human pressure and trial camera's are a lot of pressure that's un necessary. Especially if you have hunted the property for a few years. So i think trial camera's hurt you way more then they help.

BSK

deerhunter10 said:
Your crazy we used to run cameras like everyone else. We would check them about once a month maybe twice a Month. Try to be as careful as possible with pressure and scent. We used no flash camera's. And the three years we ran them we saw less deer in general and did not kill as many good bucks in those years. After we stop using them we have been seeing more deer and we are back to our normal number's in the amount if good deer we see. You said it before in a post I've read not to long ago bsk. Deer are sensitive to human pressure and trial camera's are a lot of pressure that's un necessary. Especially if you have hunted the property for a few years. So i think trial camera's hurt you way more then they help.

Those are your experiences, not mine. I've seen no indication wise trail-cam use harms hunting. In fact, just the opposite. I check my cameras weekly, and through care in how I check them, the same mature bucks keep using the same areas all season long. But where you place cameras and how you check them is critical.

deerhunter10

We placed them in spots where we could check with great ease. I do not use nor will i ever use a trail camera again. And it's not just Me i know a lot of people that have had the same thing happen. So no i don't agree with you in it's bad advice at all. I never said that we didn't get big bucks on camera. But we killed less and saw less deer. It's a fact happened on several farms i know.

BSK

To each their own deerhunter10. But trail-cameras are the only way to know what is really going on with a local deer herd. Hunter observations won't cut it. Of course, if you aren't using trail-cameras to assess herd size and make-up, and only using them as a scouting tool, I would agree they are basically worthless for that purpose.

deerhunter10

To me getting out right after season is a great way to scout. Shed hunt. Also before season if you can catch them in the bachelor groups. But the fact as knowing what deer are doing i think that's a sorry excuse to use them if you hunt a piece of property long enough you can guess pretty good as to what they are doing. There is usually that killing tree on the piece of property once you find it you don't need trial cams and you don't need them to find it. Trail cams are a waste money. Your contradiction yourself your clearly puting pressure on the deer. So therefore deer movement should slow down it's common sense

AT Hiker

deerhunter10 said:
To me getting out right after season is a great way to scout. Shed hunt. Also before season if you can catch them in the bachelor groups. But the fact as knowing what deer are doing i think that's a sorry excuse to use them if you hunt a piece of property long enough you can guess pretty good as to what they are doing. There is usually that killing tree on the piece of property once you find it you don't need trial cams and you don't need them to find it. Trail cams are a waste money. Your contradiction yourself your clearly puting pressure on the deer. So therefore deer movement should slow down it's common sense

Man you are trying your hardest to get BSK to bite arent you? If you want to follow your logic completely then I suggest you only hunt in Nov with perfect wind for your stand locations and only when weather is suitable for daylight deer movement.

As for trail cameras...you were obvisouly doing something wrong, if u put up trail cameras like YOU hunt then there is basically no extra pressure. The flash or click is little to no concern for a deer, now if you started shooting them as soon as the camera went off then they would be worried. If you suck at using them then by all means quit, just like those hunters who try archery hunting and soon realize they are putting more pressure on the deer and their later season sightings drop. They quit bow hunting the area and sightings pick back up, but if you know what your doing then you have no worries.

Savage

I had bad luck with infared cameras, with deer seeing the red light. I didnt have this with white flash cams. I had several infared pics of deer looking at the cam, and eventually they moved out. I know other people that had the same problem. With the new Blackout technology, I dont see it as a problem.

A friend of mine is getting great luck with the Covert cam that is text enabled. He is running a month on one set of batteries- no pressure on deer whatsoever.

String Music

deerhunter10 said:

My experience is the complete opposite. Since using cameras, our success rate has increased. In fact, trail cameras played a key role in my ability to harvest my buck last Saturday.

With that said, you must be careful about where you place the cameras. All our cameras are located in food plots where the deer are use to year-round human activity. I also put the cameras in spots where I can check them from my four-wheeler. Deer are used to four-wheelers in this locations and are not spooked by them.

I have several pictures of mature bucks staring at the camera when the flash went off, yet they continue to use the plot and walk by that very camera. Over time, these deer have become conditioned to cameras in these spots.

If you aren't hunting a specific bucks, relying on scouting and "killing" trees may produce a nice buck every year. However, hunting a specific buck requires confirmation that he is in the area and using your property. Once you have confirmed this, you can begin to formulate a calculated strategy to hunt him.

Savage

String Music said:
deerhunter10 said:

My experience is the complete opposite. Since using cameras, our success rate has increased. In fact, trail cameras played a key role in my ability to harvest my buck last Saturday.

With that said, you must be careful about where you place the cameras. All our cameras are located in food plots where the deer are use to year-round human activity. I also put the cameras in spots where I can check them from my four-wheeler. Deer are used to four-wheelers in this locations and are not spooked by them.

I have several pictures of mature bucks staring at the camera when the flash went off, yet they continue to use the plot and walk by that very camera. Over time, these deer have become conditioned to cameras in these spots.

If you aren't hunting a specific bucks, relying on scouting and "killing" trees may produce a nice buck every year. However, hunting a specific buck requires confirmation that he is in the area and using your property. Once you have confirmed this, you can begin to formulate a calculated strategy to hunt him.

Good Post!

JGreg

Very well put string music. I run cameras year round, I even use them for turkey hunting. They are not the be all end all scouting tool, but if you are looking for a specific deer they help. As for meat hunting, go to your killing hole and don't worry. I actually used a cam this year to figure out why my killing hole was not working, coyote every night just after dark, and a boxer everyday around lunch. Fixed both those situations the same day, thanks to a little help from a camera.

Latest posts