Hey BSK

Bone Collector

@BSK not technically a deer hunting question but it pertains to making food plots for deer, so kinda.

I think I read on here where you burnt up a truck that you used to pull a disc to till food plots? I know the truck was older, so I'm not really concerned about mine catching on fire but I was wondering did you guys have to fabricate anything to make that disc attach to the back of that truck? Or is there a disc out there somewhere for sale that could be hooked to the back of a pick up truck?

JCDEERMAN

Tree Spying GIF by Biznek

BPhunter

I have a disc for my ATV. It has no problem pulling it. I imagine there in TN you have soil that is fairly good and soft. Where I live in Colorado, the disc doesn't do a whole lot of good, what I need is dynamite....LOL.
I used a 2" receiver to attach mine to the atv. I imagine you could rig up something similar for a truck.

Bone Collector

Funny thing is I googled it and some MI deer hunting forum popped up… same question. Second, comment "I think someone one on here did that and their truck caught on fire" so he's not the only one. That had me second guessing my statement about not being worried that my truck will catch fire 😂😂

BSK

@BSK not technically a deer hunting question but it pertains to making food plots for deer, so kinda.

I think I read on here where you burnt up a truck that you used to pull a disc to till food plots? I know the truck was older, so I'm not really concerned about mine catching on fire but I was wondering did you guys have to fabricate anything to make that disc attach to the back of that truck? Or is there a disc out there somewhere for sale that could be hooked to the back of a pick up truck?
The type disk I was using was an old pull-style disk, that only has a single hitch attachment that used a vertical pin to keep it attached (took the ball off my hitch and ran the pin through the ball bolt hole). These are old disks that used to be common before 3-point hitches and hydraulics became the norm on tractors.

I was disking a long narrow food plot (powerline right-of-way), which required constant sharp turns at both ends of the plot. Cranking the steering wheel all the way to the stops over and over put so much stress on the power steering that eventually the steering pump housing cracked, spraying power steering fluid all over the hot engine block. This immediately vaporized and turned to a big cloud of steam. I though I had ruptured a radiator hose, and was just about to step out of the truck when the huge steam cloud ignited (probably from a spark plug). The truck did not "catch fire," it literally went up as a huge fireball from the cloud of vaporized power steering fluid. One minute I'm surrounded by a cloud of steam and the next I'm completely engulfed in a raging inferno. I could actually feel the vacuum effect of that much fire burning up the oxygen around the cab. Luckily, I had the windows up at the time or I would have been seriously flash-burned. Anyways, I waited until the fireball had abated before bailing out of the truck as fast as possible.

The fire burned so hot that the insurance adjuster said - by looking at what had melted and what hadn't - that the interior of the cab had exceeded 1,400 degrees. All of the aluminum parts of the engine melted and ran as liquid aluminum lava across the ground.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 9

BPhunter

The type disk I was using was an old pull-style disk, that only has a single hitch attachment that used a vertical pin to keep it attached (took the ball off my hitch and ran the pin through the ball bolt hole). These are old disks that used to be common before 3-point hitches and hydraulics became the norm on tractors.

I was disking a long narrow food plot (powerline right-of-way), which required constant sharp turns at both ends of the plot. Cranking the steering wheel all the way to the stops over and over put so much stress on the power steering that eventually the steering pump housing cracked, spraying power steering fluid all over the hot engine block. This immediately vaporized and turned to a big cloud of steam. I though I had ruptured a radiator hose, and was just about to step out of the truck when the huge steam cloud ignited (probably from a spark plug). The truck did not "catch fire," it literally went up as a huge fireball from the cloud of vaporized power steering fluid. One minute I'm surrounded by a cloud of steam and the next I'm completely engulfed in a raging inferno. I could actually feel the vacuum effect of that much fire burning up the oxygen around the cab. Luckily, I had the windows up at the time or I would have been seriously flash-burned. Anyways, I waited until the fireball had abated before bailing out of the truck as fast as possible.

The fire burned so hot that the insurance adjuster said - by looking at what had melted and what hadn't - that the interior of the cab had exceeded 1,400 degrees. All of the aluminum parts of the engine melted and ran as liquid aluminum lava across the ground.
Seems to me an ATV or tractor is more cost efficient:oops:. Happy you weren't injured friend.

backyardtndeer

That's crazy, looks like the fire missed getting to the gas tank. The things we do to kill a deer. lol

Bone Collector

Well… my food plot just happens to be on a power line right of way….probably should go with a different plan.

Latest posts