Hey mega! Hey ski!

Volbuck777

What are y'all's thoughts now? I posted this deer over a month ago and y'all said y'all didn't think it was the same deer. It's crazy how a deer can change from year to year.

Attachments

• E79EFA65-02E0-4ED4-9546-58ADED5B51B5.png
    E79EFA65-02E0-4ED4-9546-58ADED5B51B5.png
    554.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 8023703F-5BFD-4697-B6DE-C42DA4501FB6.jpeg
    8023703F-5BFD-4697-B6DE-C42DA4501FB6.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 55DDB092-F60E-4FCC-83B5-A4FF65C601D7.jpeg
    55DDB092-F60E-4FCC-83B5-A4FF65C601D7.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 9A5B0890-AEE0-4074-8FF0-B20B1425C882.png
    9A5B0890-AEE0-4074-8FF0-B20B1425C882.png
    682.6 KB · Views: 196

Snake

They sure seem to be alike but if so he's went down hill a little. Look at picture before 5 of 6 then look at 5 of 6 . Width seems a little wider in the picture before 5 of 6 ...look at the width compared to the ears . Quite noticeable to me .

Ski

Man I could go either way. There is a similarity in overall frame shape. However if it is the same deer he lost significant mass, length, and width all while adding tine count. I'll look at the pics better on my computer. Phone screen is small. But as of now I'm still not sure either way. Do you have any other older pics before last year?

Volbuck777

You guys are a tough crowd. Trail cam pics are from last year hes 6.5 this year I've watched him for 4 years. He's definitely lost frame and added tines. He was peak last year. I wish I would've taken pics but he had busted hooves, one of his front hooves only had 1 side. He was missing teeth. He had a softball size knee and a punctured neck. I believe he's been hit by a car earlier this year. Either way. I know my deer pretty well this one in particular. I know 3 years ago he had been shot by a boy and was never found. I got pics of him a week later with matted blood and mud in the wound. He was a warrior.

Madbowh

Does look like the previous year his rack is outside his ears then the kill pick it looks like barely at his ears. I think it's so interesting how they can change so much or very subtle changes. Got a massive 8 ive come close on that was a superb 10 last year,

I think it's the same deer

Volbuck777

Does look like the previous year his rack is outside his ears then the kill pick it looks like barely at his ears. I think it's so interesting how they can change so much or very subtle changes. Got a massive 8 ive come close on that was a superb 10 last year,

Yes you're correct he's definitely lost width. Good luck to you on the 8

DoubleRidge

I think it's so interesting how they can change so much or very subtle changes. Got a massive 8 ive come close on that was a superb 10 last year,

I think its very interesting as well....and we had a buck as you described up until this year. Four years ago I found his matching 10pt set of sheds, we had pics, we knew the buck, thought he was 3½ or 4½ year old. The following year I found his right side shed. Identical main beam and brow tine...but lacked the G4 point. Then last year my buddy and his wife again found his right side shed...no G4...Each year we had night time pics of this buck. We knew him well. In four or five years (out of velvet) I only got one daytime pic of him and that was in mid November...but like your buck...he was once a 10pt then became an 8pt with some trash....every right side shed we have has an identical burr point about 3/4 to 1" long....Sadly the neighbors found him dead this year....no apparent cause of death? Old age? Ehd? Dont know? But he was a warrior...best guess he was 7½ to 8½ year old.

Ski

You guys are a tough crowd.

Sorry not trying to be tough or contrite. I was just trying to answer your question best I could with the info you provided, which was a couple pics from this year and last. When I'm identifying bucks on my own place I am looking at several years of pics and videos to scrutinize rack character, body markers, demeanor & habits, even his running buddies. By the time I feel confident identifying a buck, I am familiar enough with him to recognize at a glance. I have none of that familiarity with your buck and can't with just a couple pictures.

First things I look for in a rack are frame shape and brow tines because aside from growing, they don't change much. Your buck has similar frame shape but his brow tines shrank and straightened. Next is I expect to see retention or growth in beam length, width, and tine count. Your buck's beams nearly touch this year but didn't last year, indicating beam length growth. But he lost width in a significant way. And he added tines. Lastly a buck adds mass at maturity after his frame is full, and it's usually the last thing he loses in regression. But your buck lost noticeable mass while simultaneously gaining length and adding tines. While I can't say any of it is impossible, there are several contradictory and abnormal things going on if indeed it is the same deer.

That said I don't have 4yrs history with him. All I have are the pics you posted. If you are certain he's the same buck then I have no issue believing you because I simply don't know. You're far more familiar with him than I am. You specifically asked my opinion and that's it. Regardless, he's a trophy and I congratulate you.

Latest posts