Hey BSK

ADR

I have a question. I'm trying to schedule time off of work and I'm trying to decide what would be the best time. You had posted before about you camera data showed a lot of activity around like Nov 5-8 and Nov 14-20 or something along those lines. I tried to go back look through those post for that data and I couldn't fetch it. Please, if you get a minute, could you repost that information.

BSK

Every location has its own unique peak dates. Around the Nashville area (and north of Nashville), Nov. 8-17 is usually peak. A little farther west, say Hickman/Humphreys, around Nov. 12-21. Cross the river/lake to the west and Nov. 21-30 would be more towards peak. Get west of Jackson, and you may be looking at early December. Unfortunately, I don't have dates for south or east of Nashville.

ADR

Every location has its own unique peak dates. Around the Nashville area (and north of Nashville), Nov. 8-17 is usually peak. A little farther west, say Hickman/Humphreys, around Nov. 12-21. Cross the river/lake to the west and Nov. 21-30 would be more towards peak. Get west of Jackson, and you may be looking at early December. Unfortunately, I don't have dates for south or east of Nashville.
Thank you sir.

Bone Collector

If you are SE of Nashville, you may be in Rutherford County. I am in Murfreesboro and own a small parcel in Readyville. Usually when things are normal I see bigger bucks showing up around Nov. 5th-7th, but most Rut/daytime activity starts around Nov.10th and it goes in spurts until Thanksgiving. I'd say the peak is around the 15-17th. That is to say big bucks will show up (maybe some daytime pics) around Nov. 5th, then they come through more steadily starting Nov. 10th and then will disappear to breed, but then come back and do it again. By the Monday after Thanksgiving it is pretty quiet then we get a pop around Dec.18-20th.

definitely a trickle rut and there is always a secondary rut on my place. Some years they are running hard, others hardly at all, but those dates seem to hold steady.

BSK

Last year saw more rut activity in mid October than in mid November.
I wasn't the only one that saw it either.
Good luck to all.
Strange. The vast majority of hunters I've talked to from Nashville and the west saw a very, very late rut last year due to the drought. Normally, no matter the conditions, peak breeding occurs on about the same dates every year, give or take a day or two. Yet the only times that hasn't been true has been the two years with extreme heat and drought during the summer and right up to deer season. In those two years (2007 and last year), our local rut was about 10 days late.

BSK

If you are SE of Nashville, you may be in Rutherford County. I am in Murfreesboro and own a small parcel in Readyville. Usually when things are normal I see bigger bucks showing up around Nov. 5th-7th, but most Rut/daytime activity starts around Nov.10th and it goes in spurts until Thanksgiving. I'd say the peak is around the 15-17th. That is to say big bucks will show up (maybe some daytime pics) around Nov. 5th, then they come through more steadily starting Nov. 10th and then will disappear to breed, but then come back and do it again. By the Monday after Thanksgiving it is pretty quiet then we get a pop around Dec.18-20th.

definitely a trickle rut and there is always a secondary rut on my place. Some years they are running hard, others hardly at all, but those dates seem to hold steady.
Perfect description.

Bone Collector

Strange. The vast majority of hunters I've talked to from Nashville and the west saw a very, very late rut last year due to the drought. Normally, no matter the conditions, peak breeding occurs on about the same dates every year, give or take a day or two. Yet the only times that hasn't been true has been the two years with extreme heat and drought during the summer and right up to deer season. In those two years (2007 and last year), our local rut was about 10 days late.
that is what we saw at my place. Like I said, it was a weird year.

knightrider

In east tn i saw the heaviest rut action end of january, which was 1.5 months late. I have fawns on camera from beliw knee high to 40-50 lbs, a couple does i have on cam as of last week are still carrying

BSK

In east tn i saw the heaviest rut action end of january, which was 1.5 months late. I have fawns on camera from beliw knee high to 40-50 lbs, a couple does i have on cam as of last week are still carrying
I've seen a couple of pregnant does in first-week-of-August camera census data.

mike243

I have seen a few newborns ran over the last 2 weeks, couldn't have been more than a few days old, not a lot bigger than rabbits, definitely had some late breeding going on over on the east side.

mike243

Have also seen several yotes hit to so I suspect they are pushing the doe and fawns causing them getting hit more vs just moving to feed.

Realtree56

I have a small 10 acre block of woods surrounded by cow pasture and subdivisions in Blount County, after a few years of running cameras and hunting my tail off I've realized the 2nd week of rifle is the only time worth bothering with it. It's obviously too small to hold many deer, but those last couple of days of November and first day or two of December are always some awesome sits. I see more chasing and just deer on the move in that small window of time in that small area than you would believe. Last year was my first year on a lease on the plateau, and from what the cameras say, looked like November 10-15ish was the biggest window of mature buck daytime movement…. Prime time definitely differs across the state

mike243

Well I firmly believe that any area/block of property can be different than the surrounding areas, I have no idea other than some traits passed down the line like rubbing horns early and staining them vs letting them dry out and shed naturally. I don't think we will ever be able to point at any 1 thing that causes the differences. a lot of theory's and guessing and $6.53 will get ya a cup of mud from Sarbucks lol

DeerMan66

I've hunted Hickmam for 15 years and you're dead on with Nov 12-21.

Latest posts