Browning X-Bolt

GaRidgeRunner

Ran into the same problem looking for a Tikka veil. Ended up finding a hells canyon X bolt and love the look and feel. Haven't got to shoot it yet though but all the reviews are amazing on them.

Attachments

• CAF66335-AA50-42A9-ADB1-C3D171CCA63B.jpeg
    CAF66335-AA50-42A9-ADB1-C3D171CCA63B.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 74

DC219

Since I can't find a Tikka T3 Hunter 7mm-08 anywhere in the world I have been eyeing the Browning X-Bolt Hunter. They seem to have all the bells and whistles, but I'm curious about quality and accuracy. Anybody have any experience and opinions with one?
I have a Browning Micro-Midas in .308 that is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. I shoot several Barnes ttsx handloads in 130gr and 110gr, both of which shoot great.

LookinforDirt

I have an x-bolt Hunter in 7mm-08. I had the option to buy a T3X or the x-bolt and went with the x-bolt. Both are very good looking guns and I'm sure I would have been happy with the Tikka. Tikka is more eye catching to me. I liked the more gloss finish on the stock and barrel. Browning is a more matte finish. I liked the tang safety, rotary magazine, and bolt unlock button on the Browning. Let's you unload it while on safe.

I have a rail on it because I wanted QD rings but, I like the x lock scope mount and Talley rings. Originally I mounted those and they felt very solid. Tikka action was more smooth and the Brownings felt like it had a bit tighter tolerance and the bolt locked up a bit more tightly. Again, both are nice. I got just under sub MOA accuracy shooting off the not most stable bench with improvised shooting rests. I feel pretty certain with the right load and bullet it could be a half MOA gun. Unfortunately I have not been able to get more than 20 rounds through it to date.

Trigger is good. Very clean break. Absolutely zero creep. I remember the Tikka being good to but only tried it in a store and it was some time ago. Tip on the x-bolt trigger if you end up with one. Many complain the adjustment doesn't change the pull weight. Feels heavy from the factory and you can't really adjust it much lighter even if you back the screw all the way out. I found this to be true. BUT, if you tighten the adjuster screw all the way in and then back it out, the pull weight will then drop. I was able to get it to light for my taste, for a hunting rifle, and ended up increasing it to get it where I like it. I can't tell you the weight. I adjust by feel. When it feels like how I like it I consider it good.

Enjoy whatever you get. Both are nice guns.

Last edited:

41Magnum

Ive had an Xbolt Eclipse 7mm-08 for a few years now. I have no complaints about it, the rifle is smooth and overall shoots very well. Mines not a .5 MOA gun BUT it shoots 1.5 or 1 MOA on most factory ammo Ive tried out of it from 125 grains to 165 grains.

the bolt is very very smooth and the trigger is crisp for a factory one. Again overall Ive been happy with it and would own another one for sure.
Hated to see Browning discontinue the Eclipse. I really liked the laminated thumbhole stock.

FredRog72

I've had one Browning in my life and it was an A Bolt in 308. I did not like it at all so I sold it. My dad bought the exact same gun and still has his. I helped him this past season get it sighted in and still just did not like the feel of the gun. I handed him my Tikka 270 and let him shoot it a few times and his response was, wanna trade? I believe it comes down to personal preference and the feel of the gun. I would not trade my Tikka for 3 Browning bolt guns.

rickyk280

I've had one Browning in my life and it was an A Bolt in 308. I did not like it at all so I sold it. My dad bought the exact same gun and still has his. I helped him this past season get it sighted in and still just did not like the feel of the gun. I handed him my Tikka 270 and let him shoot it a few times and his response was, wanna trade? I believe it comes down to personal preference and the feel of the gun. I would not trade my Tikka for 3 Browning bolt guns.
Lot of difference in the feel of an Browning A-bolt vs X-bolt. I have both, also have a couple Tikka (243 223) love both of them.

ewc

I used to love Browning. I actually took their actions and built 3 semi-customs off them. I still have two of them.

Now I realize there are far superior options for the same money.

I'm not saying Browning are junk (I still own 5 for sentimental reasons), just saying you can spend $1500 and have a much nicer factory rifle.

Spurhunter

I used to love Browning. I actually took their actions and built 3 semi-customs off them. I still have two of them.

Now I realize there are far superior options for the same money.

I'm not saying Browning are junk (I still own 5 for sentimental reasons), just saying you can spend $1500 and have a much nicer factory rifle.
Thanks to Knightrider I ended up with a Bergara 6.5 Manbun. Rem270 brought it back to the west side for me, but I haven't picked it up yet. Everyone says I'm going to love it.

Latest posts