Brown trout on cutbait...

catman529

I fish for walleye and catch browns...
I fish for catfish and I still catch browns...
Are brown trout the trash fish of the Caney? I don't know, but they are fun to catch.

Never did hook into a cat or a walleye, but caught this 19"er on the tail of a bluegill.

Caught a couple more decent fish on the jerkbait after dark.

Video...
http://youtu.be/SmnMhpNbLuw

Pics...

79b84bbf8b646c6585ea9a67d4446ce1.jpg

c4d7d9dab47f391b1e30606c7c79de06.jpg

043cc9ea9ed37fb1bcaed85e338fd03e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinwheeled

Nice man. You might be the first guy I've ever seen to target channel cat in the Caney. Also, that area you're fishing in the video can be fantastic for crappie as well if you're in to that. That place has really been on fire lately. Fished from 4-11am last weekend and caught somewhere between 40 and 50 trout with a 21" brown mixed in there.
c8ffd764b6119703d9c717fe87cf8a82.jpg

Pinwheeled

Keep an eye out for tagged rainbows right now also. Apparently, they dumped a bunch of brood stock from Tellico in there. I've caught two so far that I know of. No prize but pretty cool nonetheless.
cdff313b638ad5dbca842ba3b1739593.jpg

catman529

Pinwheeled":p3v90qw4 said:
Nice man. You might be the first guy I've ever seen to target channel cat in the Caney. Also, that area you're fishing in the video can be fantastic for crappie as well if you're in to that. That place has really been on fire lately. Fished from 4-11am last weekend and caught somewhere between 40 and 50 trout with a 21" brown mixed in there.
c8ffd764b6119703d9c717fe87cf8a82.jpg

Great fish you got. I have caught a crappie or two but never thought the crappie fishing would be much good there. I've caught channel cats up by the spillway multiple times, so I decided to go after em to put use to my new fish fryer. Of course when I try to catch them I don't catch any.

Brad_23

If you are wanting to catch cats fish off the top of the wall and throw a night crawler ten ft off of the dam in under the danger sign.. I have fished that river for the most of my life.. I can show you two plugs to throw for walleye and most of the time if the fog is dense on the river you won't do as good.. If you want to pm me with a phone number I will send u a pic and info

catman529

Brad_23":1p8qfux3 said:
If you are wanting to catch cats fish off the top of the wall and throw a night crawler ten ft off of the dam in under the danger sign.. I have fished that river for the most of my life.. I can show you two plugs to throw for walleye and most of the time if the fog is dense on the river you won't do as good.. If you want to pm me with a phone number I will send u a pic and info
Thanks man

MidTennFisher

Awesome fish. You had a good night down there last night. I still can't believe I let mine flop out of the yak before a photo op.

That camera takes some crisp video. I think I need to buy one.

catman529

MidTennFisher":1tle5vpr said:
Awesome fish. You had a good night down there last night. I still can't believe I let mine flop out of the yak before a photo op.

That camera takes some crisp video. I think I need to buy one.
That was in 1080p, it also does 1440p and 4K video. Although the 4K is only 10 fps. Great camera for the money

waterman

I thought they outlawed boats within a certain distance of the dam? used to fish that close but haven't since the ruling. am I just out of contact with the rules?. nice fish, hard to beat them trouts

PickettSFHunter

waterman":37yb9dyf said:
I thought they outlawed boats within a certain distance of the dam? used to fish that close but haven't since the ruling. am I just out of contact with the rules?. nice fish, hard to beat them trouts
The Corps had to back off on that due to public outcry. I was working at this dam every day during that time, walking the area around where the fisherman are on the catwalk and thought I was going to get assaulted over it just due to being an employee of the Corps lol

bigluresonly

Congrats on the nice fish! Keep at it and when you catch yourself a 2'er+, steak it up fresh and put it on the grill- Then you will know Browns are definitely not the trash fish of the Caney :tu:

catman529

bigluresonly":2gn0atx3 said:
Congrats on the nice fish! Keep at it and when you catch yourself a 2'er+, steak it up fresh and put it on the grill- Then you will know Browns are definitely not the trash fish of the Caney :tu:
Yea it will definitely hit the grill if I ever hit that mark.

Went again last night and got straight up skunked. Had one decent fish on that shook loose. I was the last on the water, everyone else quit before me

MidTennFisher

bigluresonly":12o4uxdw said:

I've heard about cutting the bigger ones up in steaks like you would do a swordfish and it tastes great. I've caught a few over 20" but have yet to break that 24" mark. When I do it goes on the grill for sure. They're definitely not trash fish. I ate plenty of them before they were treated like an endangered species and they taste just fine!

MackPC

I had no idea you could catch browns in Tn. That is so cool. Any tips on where to put in? Those are some great looking fish.

waterman

VERY GOOD on the grill. used tubbakkas recipe years ago and loved them! cant remember exactly what we did to them(slept since then and had at least 1 cold 1)cold beer . bbq sauce. this and that's in a marinade. hit the grill and some kind of good. ran into him fueling up near Kingston few weeks back. wished I woulda asked for the recipe again :bash:

Latest posts