Anyone on here trout fish the clinch?

kgt

I used to fly fish the clinch around Millers island about 15-20 years ago and absolutely wear out the trout. I've taken my two oldest sons a couple times this year after I'd talked it up so much and the first time I caught all of one rainbow and the second time (today) we got skunked. Has this river gone to crap or am I just really rusty?

If anyone on here has suggestions for decent trout water I can check out with my boys I'd appreciate it.

kgt

Thanks guys. I've heard good things about the Holston but fishing those kinds of crowds sounds awful. I may check out the Wautauga. Only fished it once a long long time ago.

Any info on the Hiwassee?

Hduke86

Thanks guys. I've heard good things about the Holston but fishing those kinds of crowds sounds awful. I may check out the Wautauga. Only fished it once a long long time ago.

Any info on the Hiwassee?
The Hiwassee is good for numbers of trout but I wouldn't say any "big" trout. Don't get me wrong, you'll hook into one every now and then but not on regular occurrence. The thing with the Hiwassee is how RAPID the water will come up when they start to generate so be aware of that. It'll will most definitely catch you off guard and depending on where you're at on the river and how far from the bank you are it can turn into a scary situation.

Hduke86

Call me crazy but plan a trip to Yellowstone specifically for fishing. It can be done reasonably cheap depending on your accommodations like nice cabin or tent camping but miles and miles and miles of no one in sight fishing is a great lifetime memory for you and your boys. I'd say 95% of people go to Yellowstone and never travel 1,000 yards off the asphalt or get out of their cars but you have the whole park to explore.

BigCityBubba

I
Call me crazy but plan a trip to Yellowstone specifically for fishing. It can be done reasonably cheap depending on your accommodations like nice cabin or tent camping but miles and miles and miles of no one in sight fishing is a great lifetime memory for you and your boys. I'd say 95% of people go to Yellowstone and never travel 1,000 yards off the asphalt or get out of their cars but you have the whole park to explore.
If you are going that far you might as well stop off at the Gallatin river. If you can catch it during the stonefly hatch, it will be a trip that you will never forget.

kgt

I'll have to look into the Caney. That's a reasonable drive for me—especially if I stay overnight for another day of fishing. Any particular access areas that are good?

Setterman

In 2021 something happened catastrophically to the Clinch. The river was virtually void of fish. The only conclusion was TVA totally dropped the ball and due to a water management issue on the lake sent a slug of zero DO water down the river causing a massive fish kill. It made the local news its was so bad. My thoughts are this wiped out the fishery

2022 saw some recovery but still way off from the past

2023 has shown significant improvement and we've caught good numbers every trip this year. The overall size of the fish isn't bad, but there isn't many larger fish that we've found. Overall the river is healthy with plenty of food as well.

TWRA also is culpable as they didn't restock the river properly and overall don't do a very good job actually managing the river. 2021 should've come with mandatory catch and release due to an extreme event. But they did nothing

TVA and their 11 hour low flows are not beneficial to the fishery in the slightest. Why they won't pulse water every 4-6 hours is mind blowing

With that said I have a feeling next year it'll be improved over this year and be back in the path to being good again. The clinch is a very resilient fishery due to the food base and water temps that don't warm at all during late summer

kgt

That is really informative, thanks Setterman. I hope you're right about it making a recovery. When you say you've caught good numbers are you wade fishing or floating it while they're running generators?

Biggun4214

Take a look at the Holston below Cherokee Dam. There's better access for wading on the Grainger County side.

waterman

I'll have to look into the Caney. That's a reasonable drive for me—especially if I stay overnight for another day of fishing. Any particular access areas that are good?
all of the access points get hammered pretty hard. hike away from the crowds to get to the better fish. its wadable from the dam down for a pretty good way. happy hollow is a fun stretch, as well as bettys island. just be aware of the generation schedule. water comes up quick

Setterman

That is really informative, thanks Setterman. I hope you're right about it making a recovery. When you say you've caught good numbers are you wade fishing or floating it while they're running generators?
Both wading and floating. numbers of fish has certainly drastically improved this year. I'll be curious what it looks like next year

Setterman

Take a look at the Holston below Cherokee Dam. There's better access for wading on the Grainger County side.
Poor advice, one the Holston water temps right now are borderline and the fish should be left alone until they cool back down. Second, there's one access point for wading at Nances Ferry and Right now the water temps have caused those fish to push upstream

mike243

I don't remember seeing anything on the news about a fish kill on the clinch, may have just missed it but I do know I have caught fewer the few times I have been out there this year.

Setterman

I don't remember seeing anything on the news about a fish kill on the clinch, may have just missed it but I do know I have caught fewer the few times I have been out there this year.

My year was off and the reported number was way off as well. There were dead fish lining the banks down river

Latest posts