Sustinence trout fishing

megalomaniac

3w till Alaska moose hunt. 10d floating 60 miles and most of our planned protein has to come from what we catch or kill.

Not trying to be a purist. Just want fish in the skillet to live on during the trip. Most salmon runs will be done by mid Sept, but there are plenty of resident rainbows, grayling, dolly varden, etc. I'm planning on throwing 1.5 to 3in Rapalas with spinning gear, but looks like the guided fishing folks fish this area with artificial salmon eggs in the summer months. Anything better than a trusty Rapala CD 3 or 5 in rainbow trout pattern? I've killed trout out west with this lure, but I HAVE to catch consistently to eat this trip. Sorry to offend the fly fishing purists... this IS some sport, but a full belly is more important

scn

Black roostertails should be in your box. Also have a wide selection of trout magnets to fish under an indicator (fly fishing bobber).

Since it is important to be able to fish, add a couple of tip tops and hot melt glue to the kit in case of an accident.

Have some decent size hooks and split shot so you can throw some belly strips like you do for flounder. Most of those fish are used to eating flesh as it floats by.

If you can throw it on your rig, a foam mouse fly will get eaten on a regular basis up there.

Setterman

You're not offending me and I'm as hardcore fly fishing as most. Sometimes things need to die

occasionally I'll spin fish for trout with high water because I do not enjoy throwing streamers any longer. The rapala you mentioned is my go to, but I've heard that a Ned rig TRD worm is lethal as well.

Lt.Dan

I would keep on hand a Mepps Aglia spinner with a fly pattern on the hook.

Screenshot_20230821_071114_Samsung Internet.jpg

megalomaniac

Black roostertails should be in your box. Also have a wide selection of trout magnets to fish under an indicator (fly fishing bobber).

Since it is important to be able to fish, add a couple of tip tops and hot melt glue to the kit in case of an accident.

Have some decent size hooks and split shot so you can throw some belly strips like you do for flounder. Most of those fish are used to eating flesh as it floats by.

If you can throw it on your rig, a foam mouse fly will get eaten on a regular basis up there.
Great tips, esp the bare hooks and belly strips... in case i lose several lures and are running low!

Dennis

I once caught a bunch of rainbows in Alaska in August using red glass beads that look like salmon eggs, small split shot sinkers, and a small hook. Just drag along the bottom. The trout are busy eating all the salmon eggs they can find.

rbreedi1

Mepps Aglia Spinners #1 Gold, Berkley Powerbait Trout Worms, Powerbait Power Eggs and Powerbait, and Gulp Trout Dough are my regulars here. Also, light line is key, at least here if you want increased bites. Trout are line shy. I use 4lb flouro or mono.

reliable

I've fished back country up there quite a bit, trout and dollies and grayling will eat anything and everything they see that time of year. They are not picky or finicky in the slightest.
I'd stick with the rapalas and a few in-line spinner baits mentioned above. You prob won't find many trophies, so down size the lures to target the 12–14" fish you'll want for the skillet.

megalomaniac

tell more about the moose hunt…area…floating or flyin…post a link if already posted
Bush plane in to small lake. Portage about a half mile to the river. Blow up the catamaran raft, then float and hunt/fish 60 miles downstream over 10 days. Portage a half mile off the river to another lake for pick up by Bush pilot.

100% DIY, no guide, not even an outfitter providing supplies. It's a really good area. Expecting mid 60s bulls with a chance for a 70in er.

megalomaniac

I've fished back country up there quite a bit, trout and dollies and grayling will eat anything and everything they see that time of year. They are not picky or finicky in the slightest.
I'd stick with the rapalas and a few in-line spinner baits mentioned above. You prob won't find many trophies, so down size the lures to target the 12–14" fish you'll want for the skillet.
Perfect! Exactly what I need...stupid fish that taste good!

Latest posts