Brisket Gurus?? Advice

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I was given a brisket today, I am not experienced in challenging cuts and this one is way beyond me. The calf was a young bull that started showing aggression. I was told the steaks were very lean and tough but tasted good. This brisket is very thin and in 3 pieces. I have trimmed it to remove hard fat and a lot of very thin area. I have beat the hello out of it with a spiked tenderizer and it is dry brining in the fridge. I hope to smoke this tomorrow
Suggestions?
Pretty sure it's very tough.
Can I stack / layer the meat?
Should I start it lower than 220 and extend the cook
Or should I feed it to the dog and grill a burger?
It's against my nature to be wasteful but…

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm used to slow smoking briskets on the pellet smoker. Pounding and stacking and such is not something that I'm familiar with. But I would definitely say low and slow, and if it doesn't turn out well then it didn't cost you anything

Mud Creek

Not sure about tenderizing it. Its a tough cut that when smoked properly should be plenty juicy if everything renders.

I smoke mine around 275-300 spritzing with water occasionally. Wrap in butchers paper around 160s or when color is right. Bring to an internal temp of 200-205...The most important part:

LET.
IT.
REST.

After it comes off the smoker it gets wrapped in a towel and put into a cooler for a minimum of 1 hour before slicing and eating.

I have a 6# point on the smoker right now that someone gave to me.

Honestly its probably the easiest cut to smoke but also easy to screw up if you're not careful. Tough chewy brisket is nasty.

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Well, I went against my better judgment this morning and went for it. Knowing I was nursing a knee and had all day. So as advised start out low and slow. Spayed water on it on occasion, used pecan wood and kept it smoking for the entire cook. Filled my drippings pan with apple juice and played nursemaid to the regulator on the smoker. At 165 degrees I wrapped in parchment paper and went back in for a slow climb to 205 then out to rest for 3 hours.
I was unable to save half the tip as it was too lean, dry and tough. But the flats (as trashy as they looked came thru for me. Maybe just a tad over cooked. I have had juicier brisket but none that tasted much better. Real happy with the results. The real thin stuff came out out like burnt ends and pieces.
IMG_1184.jpeg

Shag

Looks pretty good! Lean brisket from young beef just isn't the same as the nice, fatty, full size packer briskets. Last one I had given to me that was like that, i corned it in the fridge for a week then smoked it and used it for Ruben sandwiches. It came out really good for that!

mike243

If you have never had a brisket burger your missing out, we bought 8 at 1 time last year and think I ground 4 of them.

TAFKAP

Yeah, if it's already butchered out, grind it for burgers. Biggest mistake people make with never doing brisket is to buy a trimmed out "flat", and treat it like a low & slow.......the whole "packer" brisket is the one that makes the good TX style bbq because it's got so much fat on it. But since it's so big, it takes 12+ hours too cook, and everything becomes tender.

The other thing you could do is an oven roasted Jewish style brisket, but it won't be smoked. Just seasoned well, and roasted in a covered glass dish in a low oven all night.

Shag

Yep!
1687831425142.jpeg
Edit: Oops, meant to quote you in that TAFKAP. But y'all know what I mean.

I give myself AT LEAST 24, prefer 30 hours, for a full packer brisket. At this point, I have left them wrapped in butcher paper, then 3 or 4 white towels (I like white so they can be bleached and not smell like smoke from now til eternity), then put in the Yeti for 10 hours once they reached 205. Best ones I've ever eaten. Still warm enough it hurt to hold it too long for slicing. I wouldn't worry a bit about resting for 12 hours doing the towel wrap and cooler method.

Last edited:

Specializedjon

Not sure about tenderizing it. Its a tough cut that when smoked properly should be plenty juicy if everything renders.

I smoke mine around 275-300 spritzing with water occasionally. Wrap in butchers paper around 160s or when color is right. Bring to an internal temp of 200-205...The most important part:

LET.
IT.
REST.

After it comes off the smoker it gets wrapped in a towel and put into a cooler for a minimum of 1 hour before slicing and eating.

I have a 6# point on the smoker right now that someone gave to me.

Honestly its probably the easiest cut to smoke but also easy to screw up if you're not careful. Tough chewy brisket is nasty.
^^this^^

It will continue cooking while it's resting. Take it off before the internal temp reaches its optimal temp. It'll go from prefect to wheel chalk in minutes

Latest posts