Bootheel Report

WilcoKen

Figured I would report on our experience so far this season. We are at 7 ducks for the season. Pit has been hunted 6 days (2 weekend hunts and 2 weekdays--4 hunters). Last year was rice, this year beans. From what I can tell, last year was better as far as ducks wanting to be in our field. Last year we killed 27--embarrassing--but realistically only hunted about 10 days. This year, they just dont seem interested. We have tried spreads ranging from 20 dozen down to 6 dozen. Spinners and no spinners.

We got a bad field. I dont think I will be doing this again next year. I will just go back to crappy middle tennessee hunting in a dry blind (if i can get one). Better than crappy hunting in a wet, muddy pit 4 hours from home. What is your experience so far?

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Our group has hunted a total of 6 times.
Opening day there were 9 of us and we killed 5.
Every other day we have killed 1 per day.
Every hunt has been between 4 to 6 hours.
Total of 10 birds for the year so far.

It will get better.

WilcoKen

I will try to keep this thread updated after each hunt. I plan on hunting Saturday. Supposed to be a little cooler. Maybe things will pick up.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I don't really think we have a "bad" field but after talking to my son yesterday I think we need to cut some darker brush from around the field and cover up some of our rice stubble.
We think it may be a bit "bright" or something.
The worst thing for them this weekend was the weather.
Fogged in unless it was raining and then they would work but not finish for some reason. (Gadwalls so who knows)

WilcoKen

I don't really think we have a "bad" field but after talking to my son yesterday I think we need to cut some darker brush from around the field and cover up some of our rice stubble.
Fogged in unless it was raining and then they would work but not finish for some reason. (Gadwalls so who knows)
Yeah the patch of beans left around our pit has darkened up a pretty good bit. Our fastgrass is tan and has a little sedge mixed in. Probably be a good idea to darken our grass up some. We will need to have some ducks come in our field to see if any changes we make work. That hasnt been happening much. Lol.

Remington700

I have a friend that hunts over there. Said opening weekend was good, but now waiting on nonlocal birds to show up. He told me about bird flu in the ducks and they suggest not eating them. I had never heard of it in the duck population. Here is what I found when I googled it.

Bullfrog

SEMO used to be a fun place, then came the people and pressure. There are still some fields worth having, but they have gotten few and far between, and the chance of a crew giving one up is slim. It takes a considerable amount of time over there to figure things out, but for most anymore, a field full of water, a pit, and 6 gun barrels sticking out of it, is nothing more than padding for a farmers pocket.

WilcoKen

SEMO used to be a fun place, then came the people and pressure. There are still some fields worth having, but they have gotten few and far between, and the chance of a crew giving one up is slim. It takes a considerable amount of time over there to figure things out, but for most anymore, a field full of water, a pit, and 6 gun barrels sticking out of it, is nothing more than padding for a farmers pocket.
I am still new to the style of hunting there, but am seeing this. It's taken me 2 years. The novelty has definitely wore off at this point. There is a reason our pit was put up for lease. But, maybe I will be proven wrong in the coming weeks. That said, if we don't make it to 150 this year, I am done.

Bullfrog

I am still new to the style of hunting there, but am seeing this. It's taken me 2 years. The novelty has definitely wore off at this point. There is a reason our pit was put up for lease. But, maybe I will be proven wrong in the coming weeks. That said, if we don't make it to 150 this year, I am done.
Dunno where you guys are at, or what you're paying...but it is also true that you get what you pay for when it comes to a field lease.

WilcoKen

Dunno where you guys are at, or what you're paying...but it is also true that you get what you pay for when it comes to a field lease.
I will share this for comparison purposes. $4000 for a 50 acre field. (We split 4 ways). Pit is 4 miles south of 412 and about 4 miles east of Kennett. There are 3-4 pits about 1 mile away east, west and north that are hunted. No others that are close have hunters. $4000 seems below the norm to me. We are definitely getting what we paid for.

Bgoodman30

I will share this for comparison purposes. $4000 for a 50 acre field. (We split 4 ways). Pit is 4 miles south of 412 and about 4 miles east of Kennett. There are 3-4 pits about 1 mile away east, west and north that are hunted. No others that are close have hunters. $4000 seems below the norm to me. We are definitely getting what we paid for.

We used to lease a field off TT. It was really good when it was on but mediocore at best overall. That place could be great hunting but too many TN hunters have brought their big blind habits over there and hunt daylight to dark. No pit should be hunted all day IMHO...

WilcoKen

We used to lease a field off TT. It was really good when it was on but mediocore at best overall. That place could be great hunting but too many TN hunters have brought their big blind habits over there and hunt daylight to dark. No pit should be hunted all day IMHO...
Trying to think where TT is. We are between C and J.

cmn

I know people don't want to believe me but for 25+ years I started brushing ALL my pits with oak. Makes all the difference in the world as far as cover and shadows. Can't help the duck numbers though. Commercial guide since 1986...old time duck hunter told it would change my look and be a big bonus....almost laughed out loud...almost. Best duck advice I ever had. Will look strange to you but brush piles are brush piles

cmn

way low for a good pit....I was getting 6-8k when I moved back to Tn. for hunting. Hunting SEMO for about 20 years

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Location, location location applies in the duck world too. I have seen identical fields side by side and one on fire and the other hardly shoot. I use to have several thousand acres to hunt in Arkansas, and some fields produce and some don't. If I had the answer to why I could be a millionaire.

WilcoKen

Location, location location applies in the duck world too. I have seen identical fields side by side and one on fire and the other hardly shoot. I use to have several thousand acres to hunt in Arkansas, and some fields produce and some don't. If I had the answer to why I could be a millionaire.
This is what i am experiencing now. One is not exactly on fire but they do have considerably more shooting than us. Actually way more.

WilcoKen

way low for a good pit....I was getting 6-8k when I moved back to Tn. for hunting. Hunting SEMO for about 20 years
Yep. Middle TN public WMA blinds kill more than we do. $4k should've been a red flag.

Latest posts